The Girl Who Sees

The jet lands with a jolt, Thor shoving the hangar door open before the jet has even fully lander. Steve runs out with Atë in his arms, her head resting on his shoulder and her legs positioned over his arm. Bruce rushes beside them, his finger under her chin as he holds his watch up 

"Pulse is dropping. We need to get her under stat."

Tony runs out of the jet behind them, calling up to Jarvis to get a room ready and prepped for medical procedures. A girl, no older than twenty-five runs up to the group, her hair tied up in a ponytail, "My name is Jemma Simmons, Coulson sent me to help."

Bruce nods, Jemma scurrying next to them as she places a cool washcloth on Atë's forehead. Once inside the tower they climb into the elevator, the metal contraption shooting downwards at a much faster pace than normal. A moment later the metal door slides open a room with a metal operating table and various other medical supplies filling the room waiting for them at the exit of the elevator.

Steve follows Bruce and Jemma's instructions and lays Atë onto the metal table. Her slightly parted lips smacking together gently. Bruce smiles lightly at the action despite the severity of the situation. "At least we know she's still alive."

"Okay Spangles, we can take it from here," Stark instructs, practically pushing the super solider out of the room as Bruce and Jemma pull on surgery masks. The lights inside the room dim as the three gather around her, blocking her from sight.

Steve spins around when he feels a hand land on his shoulder. Thor stands next to him, his eyes focusing on the operation room. "Will she be okay?"

"I don't know." He replies quietly.

An hour passes, Thor and Steve unmoving the entire time. Clint and Nat join the two after the first fifteen minutes, both of them as anxious as the two men. Another hour passes, news of Atë's condition still non-existent.

"Thor, Steve, maybe you guys should sit." Clint attempts, hesitantly placing a hand on Thor's shoulder.

Steve nods, moving to sit next to Nat when Thor's booming voice makes him stop cold. "No. Not until the girl is better. Not until she is fixed."

"Thor- we don't even know what they drugged her with." Nat sighs.

"Is she really that important that they would rather kill her than let her be?" Steve questions, resting his head in his hands.

"She could be the goddess of knowledge," Thor mutters, his eyes never drifting from the operation room.

"And knowledge is dangerous." Nat finishes, Thor nodding in response.

An hour passes, all of them remaining near the operating room. Thor leans by the door, observing every action of the doctors. Natasha and Clint are as quiet as a mouse, just staring off into the distance the entire time. The only sound in the room being the constant tapping of Steve's foot.

He is sure that they are far past irritated with him, but no one has said anything about it.

Thor rushes forward suddenly, making the team all jump to attention. Tony and Bruce emerge from the room, sweat dripping from their foreheads. Stark rips the medical mask off his face. 

He crumples it into a ball before throwing it to the side of the room, not even glancing at the rest of his team as he moves to the elevator.

They all turn to Bruce, his glasses resting on the tip of his nose as he keeps his gaze trained on the ground. "How is she?" Steve asks hesitantly.

Bruce just shakes his head, "We did everything we could. It's up to her now."

"What does that mean!?" Thor shouts, getting dangerously close to Bruce.