Chapter 2: Third Time's a Charm

"Q?" Dani called aloud. Just a moment ago, she'd been in her family's Indiana home. Now, she was on Cardassia Prime? What was Q up to?

"What was that, my dear?" came a call from the bathroom.

Dani turned in the direction of the bathroom, intending to walk over, but when she took her first step, she immediately realized that something was different, something about her body. She looked down at herself. She was pregnant. Really pregnant.

Dukat appeared in the bathroom doorway, and Dani plopped down on the bed, speechless. "Darling, are you feeling well?" Dukat asked her, walking over in his robe. He sat down beside her. "Danielle?"

Dani stared at him, tears building in her eyes. He was alive again. Could it really be? How? She reached up and stroked his face. "I'm fine," she told him.

"Are you sure?" he asked her. "You look like you're about to burst into tears. What's the matter?"

"Nothing. I'm fine."

Dukat placed his hand on Dani's swollen belly. "Is it time?" he asked.

"No, no," Dani assured him. "I'm fine. I promise." She covered his hand with hers.

"Maybe I should stay home today," Dukat suggested. "I want to make sure you're okay."

"Marac, I'm fine. I think I just got up a little too quickly. I was a little light-headed for a moment. I'm okay. Okay? Go to the office. I'll be alright. Besides, if anything happens, Rowat will be here."

Dukat nodded. "You're right, of course. I just want to make sure you're going to be okay here."

"I will be," Dani said. "And if I'm not, you have my permission to gloat and hold it over my head for as long as you'd like."

Dukat's expression softened as the worry left his features. He kissed her and grinned. He stood and returned to the bathroom.

This was Dani's dream-come-true. Dukat was alive again, and she was pregnant again with their child. "I don't know what you did, Q," Dani whispered, "but thank you."

Xxx

There were so many choices. Dani marveled at all the different flavors of ice cream that the replicator had to offer. She was having a difficult time deciding between Rocky Road and Pralines 'n Creme. She'd just have to get both, she concluded.

"Computer, one pint of Pralines' n Creme and one pint of Rocky Road," Dani requested from the replicator. "And two scoops of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ice cream." She watched anxiously while her order materialized. When it was all there waiting on a nice tray for her, she could hardly wait to dig in. She picked up the tray and waddled back over to the bed. She activated her bedside lamp and picked up a spoon. She didn't know which one to start with first.

Beside her, Dukat moved. "What are you doing?" he asked sleepily.

"I had a sudden craving for ice cream," Dani said.

"But it's nearly four in the morning," Dukat said, yawning. He propped himself up on his elbow and looked at the tray Dani had replicated. "You're going to eat all that?"

"I couldn't decide what I wanted," Dani said a bit sheepishly.

Dukat pushed himself to a sitting position. "What did you do? Order the entire menu?"

"No ... I forgot the sardines."

"Sardines?" Dukat's brows furrowed as he searched his memory. "Aren't those small fish?"