chapter four

This is super duper short but oh well

-

When Ashton had sent me his mother number, I gave it my mum and she used the landline and called it.

Her eyebrows were furrowed as Ashton's mum picked up and I sat on the sofa, "What is it?" I asked.

She held up her finger and turned away for a moment before she began to talk, "Hi, this is Liz Hemmings. My son is friends with Ashton, and Luke wants to meet him." I watched as she nodded. "I'll have to check my schedule as to when, maybe in the school holidays?" She nodded again, "Yes thank you. Can I call back tomorrow and arrange a date?" She smiled. "Thank you for your time."

She put the phone down and I stared at her, "Well?" I asked.

Mum turned to me and frowned. "Did you know where Ashton lives?"

"Yeah, in Melbourne with his parents." I shrugged, "Why?"

"Luke that was a children's home." She said and my heart dropped. "Ashton has been there since he was ten."

"What? He never told me." I frowned and slumped on the sofa. "Why wouldn't he tell me?"

"Maybe he was scared." Mum sighed and sat down next to me, hugging me and lay my head on her chest and let tears fall. "How about you call Ash yeah? Talk to him about it."

I nodded before kissing her cheek, "Thank you for letting me meet him Mum." I smiled a little before heading back to my room.

I sat on my bed and got my phone out, finding Ashton's contact and hitting the phone sign. I pressed it to my ear and waited till he answered. "Lukey?"

I hummed, "Ash." I paused. "M-My mum called."

"Oh."

"Why didn't you tell me? I would've been fine with it." I mumbled.

"I don't like talking about it. I've been here for seven years." He said quietly and he sounded a little muffled too. "My dad left my mum when I was seven, along with my brother and sister and she just gave up. I found her in the bath tub when I was ten and I called an ambulance. They put us in to care." He explained softly.

"Oh Ash." I cooed, "You're okay though now right? No one is mean to you?"

"I'm okay. It's just embarrassing to tell people. They always ask where my family went, it's hard to repeat." He replied and I sighed.

"Well on the bright side, I'm coming to meet you in the summer. I break up next week from school." I grinned when I heard Ashton let out a giggle. "Can I meet your siblings too?"

"Yeah, of course you can." I smiled at his voice. He sounded happy. "I like you Luke."

I closed my eyes and smiled, "I like you too Ashy."

"When you visit, c-can I kiss you?"

"Yes." I nodded to myself, "As much as you want Ash."