Chapter One

Midnight Alley: Shane's Point of View (A Morganville Vampires Fanfic)

I DO NOT OWN ANY OF THE ORIGINAL CHARACTERS FROM THE MORGANVILLE VAMPIRES SERIES-THEY BELONG TO THE AMAZING RACHEL CAINE-HOWEVER I DO OWN ALL THE NEW ASPECTS INTRODUCED IN THIS FANFIC. THERE IS NO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT INTENDED.

“No matter how long you train someone to be brave, you never know if they are or not until something real happens.”                 ~Veronica Roth

Chapter One

“Don’t,” I told Claire quickly as she made to pull away. I kissed her once more, my tongue trailing over her lip. “Michael will get it.” I pushed the hem of her shirt up slightly and let my hands trail over her lower back and her ass. She moaned into my mouth but instantly hopped off my lap and sighed, then made her way to the kitchen. I groaned and closed my eyes. Dammit, that was just starting to get interesting. 

Eve flitted down the stairs all of a sudden, “Dork!” she yelled and flew into the kitchen. I rolled my eyes and sat up. I tugged on my shirt that, at some point, had come off during Claire and I’s make-out session. It smelled of her, which was odd to me. I decided to go see what the family was discussing, as I didn’t hear anymore of Eve’s usual morning banter. I slipped in behind Eve and leaned against a wall-staying far from Michael. I was still having a hard time with his new, pearly set of fangs. 

“Eve, nothing is going to happen. Captain Obvious just loves to talk. Nobody’s going to come after me,” Michael comforted Eve. Captain Obvious? Shit, that’s the last thing we need. 

“Right. By all means, let’s keep on shoveling the bull. It’s trouble and you know it,” I told the three of them bitterly. Dammit. Claire shouldn’t have answered the phone, we could be making out still. I glanced at her and she was frowning at me, clearly disappointed, though I’m sure not for the same reason. 

“You know they’ll all be gunning for you, right? All the would-be Buffy’s?” Eve asked, ignoring me. 

“Like you?” Michael joked lamely. 

“I’d never-”

“I know,” he calmed her. She didn’t say anything for awhile, and I wished I could see her face, but she was facing away from me. 

“Look, this is dangerous. They know you’re an easier target than those other guys, and they’re going to hate you even more, because you’re one of us. Our age,” Eve argued. 

“Maybe. Eve, come one, sit down,” Michael said and held out an arm. She did after a second and sighed. 

“This is bad. You know that, right? Nine point five on the ten point scale of make me yak,” she told him. 

I rolled my eyes, “Compared to what? We’re already living with the enemy. What does that score? Not to mention you probably get extra points for banging him-” Michael stood quickly and clenched his fists. I instantly got into fight stance. 

“Shut up, Shane. I mean it,” Michael said quietly. 

I stared at Eve behind him, “He’s going to bite you. He can’t help it, and once he starts, he won’t stop; he’ll kill you. But you know that, right? What is that, some freak-ass Goth idea of romantic suicide? You turning into a fang-banger?” I snapped at her, though my anger was stemming from Michael. 

“Butt out, Shane. What you know about Goth culture you got from old episodes of The Munsters and your Aryan Brotherhood dad,” Eve came right back. Ouch. 

“Come on, Shane. Leave her alone. You’re the one hurting her, not me,” Michael said reasonably. It pissed me off, but honestly anything could piss me off right now. I was all anger and lingering hormones and I needed somewhere to focus my tension. 

“I don’t hurt girls. You say I do, and you’d better back it up, asshole,” I said and Michael took a few steps toward me. I pushed off the wall and straightened once more. 

Eve jumped up and came to stand between us, “Come on, guys, you don’t want to do this.” 

“Kinda do,” I said evenly. 

“Fine. Either hit each other or get a room,” Eve said and my gaze moved to her. “Just don’t pretend it’s all about protecting the itty-widdle girl, because it isn’t. It’s about the two of you. So get it together, or leave; I don’t care which.” For some reason that hurt my feelings. God I was up and down. I glanced at Claire willing her to stick up for me. She was staring at me with a scared look. 

“I’m out,” I said and willed Claire to follow. Soon enough joined me on the couch as I killed some zombies. “You taking his side?” I asked tentatively. 

She frowned, “No.” I let out a breath as she settled next to me on the couch, leaving a few inches, that I hated, between us. “Why are there sides, anyway?” 

“What?” I asked as if I didn’t understand what she was saying. 

“Michael’s your friend; he’s our housemate. Why do there have to be sides?”

I rolled my eyes and snapped my fingers, “Um, wait. I’ve got this one: because he’s a bloodsucking, night-crawling leech who used to be my friend?”

“Shane-”

“You think you know, but you don’t. He’s going to change. They all change. Maybe it’ll take time. I don’t know. Right now, he thinks he’s just human plus, but that’s not what it is. He’s human minus. And you’d better not forget it,” I told her this quickly and she flinched. I instantly regretted what I said. 

“Eve’s right. That sounds like your father talking,” she said quietly and it stunned me. This time I flinched.

I threw the controller down, “Low, Claire.” Dammit, I felt like a married couple with some really weird issues. Like our best friends-old best friends-being vampires. 

“No,” she said patiently, “it’s just true. Look it’s Michael. Can’t you give him the benefit of the doubt? He hasn’t hurt anybody, has he? And you have to admit, having a vampire on our side, really on our side, couldn’t hurt. Not in Morganville.” Err, why was she so reasonable and smart? She reached forward with her hand as the door bell rang. Fuck, just what we need. Visitors. I let Claire answer it and turned off my game to think. Why did this have to happen to me? Why couldn’t Michael just stay all ghost-like? But no, he had to be the fucking hero and turn vamp to “save” me. Instead my dad saved me and now I was acting like a huge dick. Even to Claire. I heard an annoying yet familiar trill come from the front door and groaned. Monica. I stood and walked down the hall to stand behind Claire. 

“-to show you the ropes,” Monica said. 

“Sorry. I have plans,” Claire replied politely. What the fuck? Was the world going into some kind of second opposite dimension? “But-thank you. Maybe some other time.” Claire slammed the door in Monica’s face and turned around. She jumped when she saw me. 

“Thank you? You’re thanking that bitch? For what, Claire? For beating you? For trying to kill you? For killing my sister? Christ, first Michael, then you. I don’t know any of you anymore!” I turned quickly and ran upstairs to my room, slamming the door. I let out a frustrated grunt and collapsed on my bed. I’m so done with this day. I stripped down to my boxers, then laid down again and forced myself to fall into a quiet slumber. 

Vote! Comment! If you like it the least you can do is vote! Even a writer needs reassurance and confidence! Come on, guys! Please?

Sydney4285