Chapter Two

“The lesson I’ve learned most in life is that you’ll always know less now than in the future.”                                  -Taylor Swift

Chapter Two 

Yesterday sucked and as I woke in the morning I was glad I had slept through most of it. I sighed and looked out the window. It was less sunny than usual which meant it probably rained last night. I got up and grabbed my jeans to pull them on. I thought I heard a gasp behind me, but decided to ignore it. I was just tired. I pulled up my zipper and there was a knock at the door. Why can’t people just leave me alone! “What?” I yelled harshly. 

“It’s me. Can I come in?” Claire’s voice was like soft and like honey. A sound I welcomed this early in the morning. I walked to the door and pulled on my shirt as I opened it. I noticed Claire’s gaze travel greedily over my body and I wondered what she had came in here for.  “Is that a new shirt? It’s nice.” Her voice was breathless. From seeing me put on a shirt? Girls, man. 

“We’re talking clothes now? Wait. Let me get my Fashion for Dummies book,” I said sarcastically, but she didn’t roll her eyes like I was expecting her to. 

“I-” she began, still breathless, “never mind. About Michael-” Oh God. 

“Stop.” I stepped forward and kissed her forehead. I had thought about Michael a lot yesterday. I had talked about him. Fought him. Hell, I even dreamed about him. I didn’t need to talk right now. “I know. You don’t want me ripping him, but I can’t help it. Give me some time, okay? I need to figure some things out.” Claire didn’t say anything, but tipped her head back for me to kiss her. I leaned my head down to peck her quickly but I as soon as I tasted her I couldn’t stop. I slowed the kiss down and slipped my tongue in her mouth. She tasted delicious. I felt myself getting more and more aroused as it went on and I pulled away with a growl. I was breathing hard and rested my forehead against hers. “Good morning to you, too. Man, I just can’t stay mad at you when you do that.” 

“Do what?” she asked breathlessly. She sounded innocently questioning, but her voice held a challenge as well. 

“Unless you want to stay home and cut class, we don’t really have time to talk about it,” I told her and wiggled my eyebrows. “So. Wanna cut class and make out?”

She punched me in the arm, “No,” she shook her head. 

“You are such a strange girl,” I shook my head and grinned. “Ow,” I faked pain. “You riding with Eve?” I asked. 

“When she passes the snarling-cannibal phase, yeah. Another two cups of coffee, probably.” 

“You sure you don’t want a bodyguard?” I asked and her eyes softened. 

“I don’t need a bodyguard. Nobody’s out to get me. Even Monica’s gotten all friends-making with me.” I looked up at her sharply, giving her a firm look. 

“Yeah. Why is that?” 

Her eyes widened for a millisecond then she looked down and shrugged, “I don’t know.”

I took her chin in my hand and held it up, “So, are we at the lying part of the relationship already? Usually that comes after the exciting, hot and sexy honeymoon period.” She giggled and grinned. Claire stuck out her tongue and I leaned forward and licked it. 

“Ewww!” she squealed and swatted me. 

“Then don’t stick it out,” I chuckled and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. “If you’re going to hang out in my room and tempt me, there’s a penalty. One item of clothing per minute comes off.” 

“Perv,” she narrowed her eyes. 

I pointed to myself, “Male and eighteen. What’s your point?”

“You are so-”

“Say you got any pleated miniskirts and kneesocks? I really get off on-” She squealed again and dodged my hands as I tried to grab her. 

“Oh crap,” she said as she checked her watch. “I really do have to go. I’m sorry. Look, you’ll be-you’re okay, right?” 

I frowned, “Yeah. I’ll be okay. Watch your back, Claire.” 

“You too.” She turned around and headed for the door but I followed her. I grabbed Claire’s shoulders and turned her around, pushing her against the wall. I kissed her deeply, like before, and savored every minute of it. I poured every ounce of my...my...my adoration into it. I pulled back and she gasped in a breath of air. “Was that a goodbye?” Never, Baby.

“That was a come-home-soon.” I pushed away from the wall, “Seriously, Claire. Watch yourself. I worry.”

“I know.” She smiled and reached up to stroke my face. She pulled away and winked. “Best kiss so far, by the way.” 

“You’re keeping score?” I asked, bewildered. 

“Hey, you raised the bar. I don’t grade on a curve.” She shrugged on her backpack and walked out. I smiled and slumped against the wall. She may be weird, but she’s beautiful, hot, and intelligent. Oh, and she’s mine. Definitely mine.