Chapter Four

“Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged. It has a way of changing people’s plans.”                                       -Veronica Roth

Chapter Four

It was an hour ago that I got the second call from my dad in as many days. He said he was moving in sooner. He’d be here this week. I hung up on him again. “Shit,” was all I could think. It was all I could think now. I stacked another box of my crap in the hall, barely hearing Michael and Eve’s protests. Claire wasn’t home yet. One useful thing Eve did, was tell me that. When she did get home, I’d help her pack her stuff. If she didn’t come home...I’d look for her. I was worried as I realized the sun was now completely set. I grimaced, but kept packing. Eve came up and started yelling at me as I threw more clothes of mine in a box. I ignored her and continued to close the box up and haul it downstairs. I paused for a second when I saw Claire’s fearful gaze watching me, but kept moving and set down the box. “Yo, village idiot! Talking to you!” Eve stepped in front of me and I finally responded to her. 

“You want to live here with him, fine. I’m going. I’ve had enough,” I told her. For some reason I couldn’t bring myself to tell them about my dad. I just couldn’t. Because you’re a coward! You’re a worthless friend and your running from your daddy because you’re a little scared. I shut myself up. 

“You’re moving at night? Do you have a head wound?” she yelled. I faked to the right and moved past her left then ran into Claire. Everything was silent as we looked into each others eyes. She looked so sad and disappointed. 

“I’m sorry. Got to do it. I told you,” I said. 

“Is this about your dad? About this prejudice you’ve got against Michael now?” she asked me and I rolled my eyes. 

“Prejudice? Jesus, Claire, you act like he’s still really Michael. Well, he’s not. He’s one of them. I’m done with this crap. If I need to I’ll go break some laws and get my ass thrown in jail. Better that than living here, looking at him-” I closed my eyes and shuddered, sighing. It wasn’t Claire’s fault. “You don’t understand. You just don’t understand, Claire. You didn’t grow up here.” 

“But I did,” Eve interrupted Claire and I’s moment, but I didn’t break eye contact with her. “And I don’t get your paranoid bullshit, either. Michael hasn’t hurt anybody! Especially you, you jerk. So lay off.”  

“I am. I’m leaving,” I told her turning to look her in the eye. 

Claire was deathly quiet when she whispered, “What about us?” Us? Oh my. It was a tiny little pronoun that almost broke the deal. Us. 

“You want to go with me?” I asked hopefully. I was shocked and torn in two when she slowly shook her head. I didn’t understand. I felt myself close up and feel unwanted suddenly, by everyone in the hall. I had to look anywhere but at her. “Then we’ve got nothing to talk about. And sorry to break it to you, but there’s no us. Get it straight, Claire. It’s been fun, but you’re not really my type-” All of a sudden I was being pushed against the wall with Michael’s hands fisted around my collar.

“Don’t. Don’t you disrespect her. Be an asshole to me, fine. Be an asshole to Eve if you want to; she can give it right back. But don’t you take it out on Claire. I’ve had enough of your crap, Shane,” Michael yelled. He took a deep breath, but didn’t stop. “You want to go, get the hell out, but you’d better take a good hard look at yourself, my man. Yeah, your sister died. Your mom died. Your dad’s a violent, prejudiced asshole. We keep cutting you breaks, and you keep screwing up, and it’s enough. I’m not letting you whine anymore about how your life sucks worse than ours.” I didn’t know what to say. I agreed with the first part. I had taken it to far with Claire, but what he just said.... Burning rage shot through my veins. I pulled my fist back and punched Michael in the jaw, hard. He didn’t move or punch back, he just stood still, his gaze patient and judgmental. “You’re just like your dad. You want to stake me now? Cut my head off? Bury me out back? That work for you, friend?”