Chapter 17

Lucy and Frederick lingered over breakfast the next morning, both wanting to stay within their bubble of contentment and put off the moment of Lucy's decision as long as possible.

"Today is yours," Frederick declared. "What do you want to do today?"

"Would you be up to visiting a tourist attraction? We'd have a bit of privacy, though, once we're there."

"I'm intrigued. Go on."

"That big Ferris wheel? The London Eye, I think?"

Frederick grinned. "Great idea."

After breakfast, he made a call and arranged for tickets for precisely ten past two.

"They did that just for you?" Lucy asked.

"They do that for everyone," he assured her.

The line for the Eye seemed huge when they arrived, and Frederick was asked for a steady stream of photos and autographs. Thankfully, the line moved more quickly than she was expecting and before she knew it, they were in their private passenger capsule on one of the biggest Ferris wheels in the world. Most of the other pods held a couple dozen people, but Frederick had bought all the tickets to theirs so they could have it to themselves.

Lucy had thought the view from Frederick's flat had been impressive, but it paled in comparison to this. She could see the river Thames winding away into the distance, and Frederick pointed out famous cathedrals and bridges, and a building that looked like a shiny pickle. Lucy didn't need any help recognizing the Palace of Westminster, or Big Ben. The tour took about a half-hour, but felt much quicker. Time always passed quickly when she was alone with Frederick.

* * * * *

Back at Frederick's flat, Lucy apologized, and went to her room for a catnap, as she had yet to adjust to London time. Frederick told her to take all the time she needed. When she woke, she saw that a note had been slipped under her door.

"Don't come out yet!!" it read.

Lucy took her time doing her hair and makeup before dinner. After dithering for twenty minutes, trying on both dresses several times, she finally decided on the deep red dress Frederick had given her, as well as her diamond pendant. She wanted him to know that she appreciated his gifts. She still didn't know what she would tell him, but she would look her best when she did.

A few minutes after she was dressed, she heard a small knock and opened her door.

"Would you care to join me for dinner?" Frederick asked. He looked so good in his charcoal gray suit that she could hardly believe he was real. His blue shirt and tie made his eyes look impossibly green, and his hair was somehow both tidy and wavy.

She took his arm.

"You look stunning tonight, as always, my darling," he said. She murmured her thanks as he led her down the short hallway.

The kitchen table was set for two. Fairy lights hung from the ceiling in a star-burst pattern, meeting at the small chandelier over the table. The room was filled with the dancing light of a hundred white candles, and the twinkling city below was the perfect backdrop. Lucy's throat grew tight. It was like the hotel room all over again. Either a beautiful beginning, or an unforgettable end.

"I thought we could dine in tonight," Frederick said, looking like the cat who caught the canary as he watched Lucy's reaction.

"You are full of surprises," she said, as they walked to the table.

"A whole lifetime's worth," he whispered in her ear as he pulled out her chair for her. She shivered as he let his chin graze the top of her shoulder.