Chapter 15

"All right, wake up now. We're here."

I peeled my eyes open one by one. Pain shot up my spine as my body was jostled and kicked around.

"Miss Bennett, if you insist on laying here all day then I won't hesitate to leave you here while I go back to our reality." Mayor Johnson huffed as he kicked my body once more.

"Okay!" I cried out. "I'm getting up, just give me a damn second."

"Watch your language, Miss." He warned.

"Fine." I pulled myself off the ground. My back felt as still as a board, as I gently pressed my hand against it to aid my movement.

"My god, Miss Bennett, do you always black out when you use go through the portal of time?"

I put my hands on my hips. "Well, I'm so very sorry if my body isn't used to the effects of being transported to a different time period through a metal box!" I snapped.

He snorted. "My, I guess that's another thing we're going to need to work on..."

"And how come you're so used to the feeling?" I retorted. "It's not something you're just used to all of the sudden."

His face turned colder than before, if that was even possible. "Miss Bennett, there's a lot you don't know about this world. About me. About your past. Before you ask any ridiculous question, do let me explain?"

"Fine."

"Okay, if you'll just- Miss Bennett!" He cried. I spun around just in time to see a car bolting in my direction. I leaped to the side as a car to zoom right by me and fell straight onto my hands and knees. Behind me, the Mayor stood flush against a metal railing with his hands gripping the sides. His face turned a brilliant pink as he gasped for each and every breath.

"Thanks for the warning. Who knew you actually had it in you to be kind."

He stared at me for several moments until he regained his composure. "Let's just get going." He grumbled. He spun around on his heels and walked forward without another word. I followed behind him, weaving in and out of oncoming traffic.
From the looks of it, we appeared to be on top of some sort of bridge. It was unlike anything I'd ever seen before. This part of the Community lay on the outskirts of the outskirts and was really only home to government buildings. The sky was no longer the crisp, clear blue that I was used to, but rather a musky, smog-ridden grey color.

"Um, sir-"

"I presume you're going to ask me some ridiculous question about the where or why or how. To answer the one that may not be as obvious to your juvenile self, five years forward. That's all." He replied, not even bothering to look back at me. "Now, see that building over there?" He pointed to a building in the near-distance. It looked just as many others in the city did; a tall, ordinary skyscraper. It didn't appear to be unique at all. At least, not from the exterior. I nodded, and he continued. "When we get close to the building, we're going to need to lay low. You know, make sure nobody sees us." We had fully crossed the bridge at this point, and the building was coming closer and closer into view. "If you know what's good for you, you'll follow my lead and shut up. Got it?"

"Yes, sir." I mumbled. We descended down a large hill before reaching a point of an even higher concentration of traffic. We stayed in the center of the sidewalk and kept at a fairly slow pace. Every so often, we'd have to duck behind trash cans or shrubs, so familiar faces would not recognize us. We both came to a halt when we reached the front of the building.

"Okay, now listen carefully. I'm going to go in. Wait a minute, then proceed inside. Ignore any questions that secretaries or other employees may ask you. Go straight for the third room on your left. Take a seat in the back once you've come in. Make sure nobody is beside you or in front of you. Keep yourself latent. I will come get you after everything is....over. Got it?"I nodded. "Good." He said, and proceeded into the building.