CHAPTER 4

Chapter 4

"Let me go!" I cried out as the Peace Guards began to seize me. "I didn't kill him!"

"Then how do you explain his death? They retorted, "Liam is dead, the first death to occur in over a decade. You were the last one to talk to him, is that not correct?"

"Yes, but-"

"But were you not the last one with him before he died? Answer the question, little girl." The guard's face was inches before mine. I could feel their hot breath on my face, their dark eyes burned into my skin.

"I was." I gasped. The guard picked up their paddle from the floor and began to strike me with it. I yelped in pain as the wooden board made contact with my bare flesh, leaving blotchy, red welts in its path. No matter how much I cried, the guard wouldn't stop. They only insisted that they hit me harder until a new sense of pain washed over me. My skin began to burn, as if someone had set an open flame to my flesh. My bones felt as if they were crumbling from underneath me. Horrified, I looked down at my arm. My tan flesh was now charred and began to peel back from the bone. If I looked close enough I could see the entire inside of my arm- my blue veins, broken and gushing out blood, the tiny sinews and tendons torn and pink. The guard wouldn't stop beating me and moved onto my back, the burning feeling radiated throughout my spine as my skin reacted the same way it had on my hand.
My vision became blurry and my legs, which had given out from underneath me long ago, remained limp and motionless. As the blur transformed into a never ending darkness, I knew my body would not hold on for much longer. Tired, I felt, from swimming in this pitiless sea. I felt the guard deliver their final strike of the paddle to the top of her spine and let herself be free. My body spiraled into oblivion and mind completely blank. "It's over, I'm free." I thought to myself.
I landed with a soft 'thud' on an unknown turf. I examined the ground, soaking in its soft texture and moist complexion. And, when I turned my head to the sky, I noticed not clouds or a sun but a hand, extended out towards me. I accepted its gesture without hesitation and stood up.

"Welcome home." Liam said and pulled me into a strong embrace.

I awoke as a small scream worked its way out my lips. The sound that escaped me sounded reminiscent of that a caged, terrified animal would make. My eyes fluttered open just in time to see a woman bend over me. I opened my mouth to scream again, but the woman's hand clamped down firmly on my mouth.

"Miss, please do remain quiet." She hushed. "You wouldn't want to wake the others." Her voice was calm, yet a sense of urgency could be heard from underneath it. Her cool hands moved themselves from my lips and forced me to lay still on the white cot I had been placed on.

"The others?" I questioned. With the hundreds of questions that ran through my mind, that happened to be the only one I could muster the strength to ask.

"Right, I'm sorry, Miss. I had forgotten of your current state. You've been out for a while." She shook her head. "I meant, you wouldn't want to wake the other children. I'll introduce them to you later- I'm sure they'll be eager to see you. But for now, lay still. We need to run some tests on you." My eyes scanned the room. Several other cots lay in rows beside mine, all dressed in the same basic white linens. The room appeared to be set up as a make-shift hospital ward. It was not large by any means, but it seemed to serve its purpose appropriately. Cabinets lined the wall opposite of mine, with a small sink placed underneath the far right one, adjacent to the door. I shuddered as I noticed the monitors that sat beside me, similar to ones used in the process of Cleansing. I let out a small moan and clutched my head. The mere thought of the last Cleansing sent a wave of nausea throughout my body. The woman, who ran around the room as to hastily gather medical supplies, nearly dropped the items in her hand and turned around abruptly. Undoubtedly she heard my small cry of pain. I shook my head and assured her it was nothing. She nodded and turned around again, continuing to gather the supplies.
When she turned around to face me I noticed that her features were quite beautiful. Her straight blonde hair fit perfectly with her long, narrow face. Her eyes, which were a dull grey, still shone from their large sockets. Her frame was tall and full, and seemed to lack any imperfections. Her frail hands were completely occupied when she finally walked over to the side of my bed. Carefully, they fumbled with the machine next to me. I broke out into a nervous sweat as she toyed with it. She picked a needle off the end and held it towards me. As she reached for my arm I jerked back and held it to my chest.