Dinner

Multiple povs in this chapter

Annabeth
Leaving Percy's cabin left a chasmal feeling in my chest. I didn't feel right to just leave him like that. I wanted to speak with him. I wanted to make him pour out all of his emotions and feel nothing more, because nothing is better than pain.

Obviously I had no experience in dealing with emotions, but Piper had taught me a lesson when we were back at the fear temple. Percy would have benefitted.

With every crunchy step, my heart fell deeper and deeper. For the first time since the war, I had no idea what to do.

Grover
"Juniper, stooooop," i batted away the green nimble fingers from my horns. "If you clean them anymore, they'll fall off. Everybody would have a laugh at that."

"Oh come off it, Grover," she squeaked. "You look so handsome with your shiny horns. They're so big," she sighed. Then she pouted.

Oh no.

"What's got you in such a bad mood, hmmm?" She had her hands on her hips and a moody expression on her face.

"N-nothing Juniper. Nothing wrong with me. I think the empathy link is acting up. It shouldn't be this strong..." I trailed off nervously.

"Oh Grover, I'm sure Percy is alright. And why would it be acting up? You haven't seen each other in a while; you being the," she had a proud, dreamy look in her beautiful green eyes," lord of the wild."

I blushed heavily. Tugging at my shirt tail(Save the Earth), i continued in a sheepish(or goatish?) voice,"aw Juniper. It's no big deal. I'm just a satyr. "

I fiddled with my pipes for a moment. "I haven't seen them in a while, you're right," I was broken off by an 'of course I am'. "I'm excited, well excited past the underlying feeling of depression and anxiety, but maybe that's just me."

"Hey! Give me back my pipes! They're clean enough!"

Percy
A horn sounded through the cooling air. It was dinner time. Annabeth said that she would be back but I didn't want to inconvenience her, with her ankle and all, so I decided I would probably meet her halfway. I was tired of saying I wasn't hungry. I was really hungry.

After steadying myself from standing up so fast(I had been lying down all day, sheesh) I creaked along the floor and out of the door. It was already swarming with campers and satyrs and dryads. Thinking of the satyrs made me sad, I hadn't seen Grover in a while. He said he'd come soon. I've got to introduce him to Jason.

That sent a plunge in my gut. Like I had been punched by a lightning fist. Introducing Grover to Jason would mean actually walking up to Jason and talking to him and bringing up what happened. But, if I could count on my luck, Piper and annabeth have already spoken to him.

I thought back to Piper and my girlfriend's words.
You have to try harder.
And that meant talking to Jason and the others. I had to try.

...But later.

Blindly making my way to the Posiedon table, i felt someone jump on my from behind. I fell.

"Woahhooo, Per-r-rcyyyyy," a familiar goat voice bleated.

I rolled over.

"Grover dude!" I laughed. It felt good to see him. I felt more awake, filled with happiness at this innocent moment of seeing a friend. It felt so good.

We both got up, laughing. I could hear some people clapping as we dusted ourselves off and then hugged.

"Are you alright, man?" Grover whispered.
" 've been better," i said back.

He thumped my back and Annabeth came over.

"Annie!" He cried.

She laughed and then punched his furry arm,"don't call me Annie you dumb goat."

After they hugged Annabeth looked at me. I knew what she was trying to say In her eyes. I would get to it. I swear on the river Styx. I thought.

"Hey let's sit down," I told him. I steered him to my table.

He followed to the table and we got our food, made offerings, and dug in. He paused between a bite of his enchilada,"hey, why is Annabeth talking to those two and looking at us?"

I got an icy feeling. "They're talking about me," I said sourly.

"Wh- OUCH Percy. You need to channel your emotions," he said while rubbing his temples.

"Sorry, forgot about the link for a second," I muttered. I placed my fists on the table firmly.

"Gods, are you alright?" He had an edge to his voice. I had forgotten how sensitive he was. Why he created an empathy link so he could feel both of our emotions, was really starting to make me wonder if it was such a good idea. I thought back to our quests.

"Yo, earth to Percy. Are you alright?"

"I'm going to my cabin," I said suddenly. A sickening feeling in my stomach. I stood up. "Come on."

"You hardly ate?! Wait-wait for me!"

I avoided the looks from the passing tables and the trio from earlier. I could hear Grover stumbling and trying to catch up.

"Bro you walk fast. And I'm a satyr. Why are we leaving?"

"Gotta tell you something. I swore on the river Styx." In my head.

He grabbed my arm. "Woah woah-ho-ho. I don't like the sound of it."

"Me neither," I replied. "And I agreed to it."

"Can you tell me what exactly we are talking about?"  He was breathing a little heavier from panic. He wasn't in a very stable state for bad news but I had to tell him. It would be wrong to keep him from it, after all we've been through.

We were right outside my cabin. "How much have you been feeling from the link? Wait-how have you been feeling from the link?"

"Um like- wait. Oh. OH. We're talking about that," he finished quietly.

"Yeah, we are, now let's get inside before Annabeth or Jason murders me."

I shudder,"or Piper."