Chapter Three

We took off as soon as the whistle blew; our feet pounding the pavement in unison. We lead the pack for several minutes before the group began to dwindle; the others falling steadily behind as we pushed forward. We were side by side and remained so for the first three laps. But as we rounded our fourth (and final) lap I began to notice how Chase’s breathing was slightly heavier. It wasn’t obvious by any means, but I had learned to pick up on the tiny details. I couldn’t help the small smirk that teased my lips; I could run all day and not tire. I picked up my speed and ran as fast as I could to the finish line. The feeling of my muscles tensing and releasing as they strained to go faster, farther, longer was so welcomed and familiar. I crossed the smudged, white line and slowed with ease; my breathing not the slightest but affected. “5:03” The coach’s gruff voice barked out, startling his poor assistant. Damn, I had wasted time keeping pace with that jer……I stopped dead in my thoughts. What was I doing?!?!?! Why am I doing this again? I’m never like this; this isn’t me at all. I’m quiet, cooperative, and sure as hell don’t try to draw attention to myself. That would only bring trouble and that kind of trouble is not something I needed more of in my life. “Damn girl, you’ve got skill.” I almost jumped out of my skin. As it was I flinched at how close he was to me. I turned and looked up into Chase’s blue eyes and drowned.

            I had never seen them this close before; hell, I’d never seen HIM this close before. But his eyes…….they were light and warm and so deep that I very literally felt as though I was drowning. Yet there was something in those blue orbs that told me they could see right through me; straight through to my secrets. And that had me averting my eyes instantly “You’re good, I’ll give you that much Shorty”. His voice came out husky and deep because of his run. He reached out and tugged on a loose strand of hair, drawing my attention from my shoes. “I’m not short” I managed to mumble out before pushing away and heading off towards the locker room. I could hear him calling out to me but I didn’t stop. Well, I tried not to but that’s a difficult task to accomplish when your mountain of a P.E teacher is standing in your way. “Yes Sir?” my voice came out small and meek as I mentally cursed my bad luck. I felt Chase before I saw him. He came to stand beside me, the heat radiating off him and crashing into me with all the force of a raging fire. It was more than unnerving to say the least, not to mention distracting as all get out. “Good, you’re both here; saves me the trouble of having to ask you individually. I’ll give it to you straight: the track team could use talented kids such as yourselves. We start practicing in November, so you have a few months to decide. Let me know when you make your decision; I’m always in my office after school till 5:00p.m” Wow….he didn’t even let us get a word in before lumbering off towards the gym. “So you gonna do it?” I glanced at Chase before briskly walking off again, as though nothing had happened. The girls’ locker room would be deserted by now and that meant I could shower in peace. Since school would be over soon I didn’t have to worry about being late to a class. Thankfully Chase got the message and headed off towards the boys’ locker room. I shoved the heavy door open and went to my locker, gathering soap, my clothes and a towel. I quietly made my way to the showers, dropping my things on a bench before stripping out of my P.E clothes. I pulled my hair out of the hair tie’s grip and turned the water on. Relief washed over my sore body as soon as the hot water hit it. I hardly ever showered in here; there were always too many girls. I couldn’t even change in the open if there were girls; rather I chose a tucked away stall so no one would see me.

 I looked down at my body. There was too much to hide to ever risk anything; too much that could never been seen. I shook my head, sending droplets of water flying. Those thoughts wouldn’t do me any good and it was pointless wasting my time on them. I began to mull over coach’s request and I bit my lip. I really wanted to do it; I loved running with all of my being but…..I’d have to ask and that never went well for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Haha, so did anyone catch the movie refernce? Anyone? Haha let me know :)

All rights reserved Copyrighted 2011.

<3 Please vote and comment!!!!! Or at least comment please :) I love getting feed back :D