t w e n t y - t w o

So Jade had a point.

Though she called it jealousy and I stripped it down to curiosity, it was true. Their relationship piqued my interest and as his girlfriend, I felt entitled to that. I chased the idea that there was history between the two of them and as I take each step up the wooden stairs, that curiosity seems to build and build.

Admittedly, this freaked me out. I found myself shuffling between ideas of what this all could mean. This was certainly an offbeat fling, seeing as we have already surpassed any and all of my past relationships. Not with time, but with the emotional setting. We were at an all-time high, booming, sky rocketing into another dimension and I had led off the breaks and opened the door, willing to jump out and free fall into the unknown. I wasn't in this alone. I knew how James felt and that triggered more emotions than I knew what to do with. Still, I wasn't hurt, or sad. Ultimately, I was scared and I had questions and somehow that seemed so much worse.

After coming to the final step of the staircase, I'm met with a large hallway. The textured walls were painted a cream color and there was a railing that allowed me to overlook the bright entryway of the house. When I turned to look towards the hallway, I see that there are five doors to choose from but only one with a light on. I placed my bet on that one and started to pad across the wooden floor.

I reach the end of the hallway and just as I'm about to push on the door, I spot him. He's standing next to his bed shirtless with just a towel wrapped around the lower half of his body. He doesn't see me and that's because the door is only slightly opened, leaving just a slit, which is more than enough for me to get the full view. He's rubbing another towel over his hair and I can see the water glistening off of his perfectly toned chest. It doesn't feel wrong to look and somehow it's the most attractive thing I've ever seen.

I look away when I hear contagious laughter from downstairs and I can't help but to join. I don't have to look to know that it's Mark and Kelli and when Jade yells "Get a room!" It's confirmed.

Suddenly I'm yanked from the hallway and into the bedroom. James slams the door shut behind me and pushes me up against the wood. He's still standing there shirtless though now he has a pair of grey sweats covering the lower half of his body, instead of a towel.

"Were you spying on me Miss Hunter?" He asks nuzzling into my neck.

"Stop! It tickles!" I say and begin kicking my legs.

His hands skim over my body starting at my arms, leading down my stomach and tracing every curve. He reaches around and gives my butt a gentle squeeze before lifting me and just like a habit my legs wrap around his back. He carries me over to the bed, laying me down and slowly crawling over me. The faint smell of body wash lingers as he begins to trace kisses down my neck.

"I like Jade." I whisper.

"Mhm." He mumbles as he nips at my neck.

"J-" I start but get lost as my hands wrap up in his hair.

"Shh." He says as he traces kisses across my chest. I close my eyes and tilt my head back as he continues his torture.

It only takes me a second or two before I realize why I came looking for him. I have questions. I immediately push on his chest and sit up, skimming the massive room in front of me. The walls are painted a dark blue, the bedding is all white, and there's a wooden dresser that sits against the wall just in front of the bed. I stand to my feet and make my way around his childhood bedroom. I pad over to his dresser and pull the mirrored picture frame closer to me. It's another picture of him and Jade, they're on a boat in life jackets. They have to be ten years old or so, both with reddened cheeks from the sun.