t h i r t y - t w o

"Are you sure this is going to work?" I ask, running my hands up and down my jeans. "He didn't answer when you called him." I remind her.

"Would you relax? First off, he has been ignoring my phone calls for days now, it's nothing new. Secondly, we have gone over this a million times now. Once we park, you're going to get into the backseat." Jade reached forward and turned one of the dials before pushing in one of the small buttons so that the heat kicks through the vents at our feet. "And besides, Indy assured me that he's in the riding arena which is really all we needed to know."

"Okay." There was a loud squeaky noise and when I looked up my eyes instinctively followed the window wipers as they flung back and forth with the rain slowly masking over the glass.

We pull up to a red light and watch as a woman and two small children scurried in front of us on the cross walk. The small boy was stomping on puddles as the girl held on tight to what I assume is her mothers leg. The car next to us was full of girls I didn't recognize but could see the potentially mean girl persona as each of them reapplied their lipgloss and teased their hair, leaving a matted mess on the crown of their full yet messy hair.

And then there was me.

I've come to realize that I don't get scared easily. I've never been afraid of heights or scary movies and when it comes to roller coasters, I'm always at the front of line. So I have to ask myself, why is it that I'm sitting in the passenger seat suffering from car sickness with sweaty palms and a pulsating heart beat if I'm not scared?

And then it hit me.

I was always scared of dancing. I never liked having anyone that close to me. It made me feel susceptible to the world and all of it's cruel entails and while I could admit that there was a certain beauty to it, being in control was ultimately what I strived for.

So that night when James grabbed me by the hand and pulled me out on the dance floor, I knew my fears didn't lie on the surface of dancing. No, they were kept bundled up in the solstice of my letting James take control.

"Dance with me."

I looked up at him and put my arms over my chest. "You're crazy." 

"Raegan Hunter, do not make me carry you out there."

I looked up at him, squinting my eyes to form a fierce glare but then he had me. "Fine." I told him as I reached for his hand. "One dance."

He smiled, laced his hand in mine and brought me to the center of the dance floor. I watched as the people around us were caught in their own rhythm, paying no mind to us.

"I don't know how to dance." I told him as I shrugged.

He stepped towards me, sliding his hand around my lower back and pulled me closer to him. I could feel the heat of his breath on my neck just as he whispered. "I'll do all the work Rae, all you have to do is dance along."

I pulled away, looking into his telling eyes as they silently brought the clarity to me. He was no longer talking about the dancing.

Maybe it was too soon to tell and maybe I was too rough around the edges to acknowledge it, but as I looked down and saw that the door was locked and the light had turned from red to green. Something told me that it was my signal.

It was my turn to take the lead.

-

I tug on my shirt and adjust myself as I peek up into the rear view mirror. I look a complete and utter mess. My hair took on it's natural curl with the sight of rain today and I have bags under my eyes from lack of sleep, but nothing can compare to the loud thumping in my chest. I let out a huff of air as a way to relax myself when suddenly I hear the click of the doors unlocking.