Stranded--4

(edited 07/25/19)

Chapter 4

We've been on the island for three days. In those three days, we've lost at least half of the people. Thinking about it makes me so sad, I want to vomit. I try my best not to think about it. Drake and I have stuck together this whole time. Molly and David are fine, but David seems to have gotten pretty sick. I'm worried.

Right now, I'm sitting near the shore, throwing rocks into the ocean, and naming every rock I throw. This rock is my family. This one is my friends. My life. Dreams.

"Miranda? All you alright?" I turn around and see Olivia. I look away quickly. I can't look at her after hearing Drake's story.

"I'm fine. Why?" I throw another rock in. That rock can be named "my sanity" because I'm totally about to lose it.

"You just seem to always be spacey these days. Are you sure nothing's up?" She inches closer to me. I take a small rock and fling it with all my might.

"I'm sure." I nod my head.

"Really? So Drake never broke up with you yet?" She sits down next to me and I freeze. She just knows how to ruin a moment, doesn't she? I close my eyes with annoyance.

"We. Are. Not. Dating. How many times do we have to say that?" The rock I had in my hand ends up in the sand.

"Well, I can tell you guys are lying. You guys always sleep together away from camp. Collin is suspicious too." She pushes. If she isn't dead by the end of all of this, I'm going to kill her. We are literally stuck here, and she's worried about boys.

"Speaking of Collin, what is the relationship between you two?" I turn my body so I can look at her in the eyes. She leans away from me a little and her eyes show a bit of shock, but then they turn back to normal quickly. She wipes hair about of her face and purses her lips a little.

"Oh nothing. Why? Who would think that?" She scoffs, but she looks away, back towards the sea.

"Oh, no, no. I was just asking." I say with a harsh tone. "You know, since boys are such an important role in this predicament we're in."

"Well, if Drake asks about me, tell him I'm by the fire. I'm in charge of taking care of the people who are sick." Her voice is snobby as she gets up to leave. I watch her tread away in the sand and I shake my heat at her. I look around for the biggest, dumbest, ugliest looking rock and catapult it into the water. I named this rock Olivia.

*********

I was at the little hut Drake and I had built together. We kind of separated ourselves from everyone else. Not because we thought that we were better than everyone else, we just didn't like how Collin and Olivia ran things. Why did we lose so many people in the last three days? We don't have enough food, and our water is already almost out. Olivia thinks that the ocean water isn't good enough to clean dirt off, so she uses the water from the bottles. Drake yelled at Olivia and Collin almost hit him. I had to drag Drake away and get him to calm down. That was yesterday. Now, Drake is out looking for food. I tried to go with him, but he said, "No, this is a man's job." And he just left. He's been gone since the morning and I'm really worried about him.

I'm sitting in our little hut made of logs and sticks propped up against a huge rock, and I'm drawing pictures in the sand with my toes to distract myself somehow.

"Boo!"

I scream. Of course, it was just Drake. He bursts out laughing and drops the bananas on the ground before, he himself drops to the ground, rolling around with laughter. We are losing it out here.