Eight

It brings out the worst in me, when you're not around.

And I miss the sound of your voice, the silence is so loud.

~~~~~~~

Once the sun went down, everybody stood up, getting ready for sleep when Mark hissed in pain, looking at his arm again.

"Okay, Mark what the hell is going on with you?" Jackie asked.

He looked over to her. "I...I don't know."

"Bullshit, you don't know!" She said. "What's going on??"

Sean and Lily walked up to them. "Are you feeling okay?" Lily asked.

"I'm fine, how many times do I have to say it?" He asked in a serious tone.

Lily walked up to him, reaching out her hand. "Are you sure--"

"NO!" Mark shouted, cringing away. "Don't...don't touch me."

They felt confused for a few seconds, their eyes widening as soon as they figured out the cold hard truth.

"Shit..." Jackie breathed. "You're infected, aren't you?"

Mark tensed up, closing his eyes. "It's...it's not what you think."

"Bull!" Sean shouted. "Why the fuck didn't you tell us?!"

Mark finally gave in. "I was scared, alright? I had a million things going through my mind, and I didn't want to tell you right after we fought those goddamn zombies!"

"That isn't something you keep from us, Mark!" Jackie shouted.

"I know...and I'm sorry." He said, giving us a sad look.

"Show us." Sean demanded. "Show us the bite."

Hesitating a few seconds, he forcefully lifted up his sleeve, revealing the bite. It was all red and puffy, white blotches everywhere.

"Oh my god.." Lily breathed. "How long?"

Mark sighed. "About a half hour."

Sean ran his hands through his hair. "I can't believe it..."

"So..what, now we gotta fucking kill you??" Jackie asked, tears stinging the backs of her eyes.

"No..we're not killing him." Lily said seriously. "We'll find a way to get it out of you."

He shook his head. "There isn't a way to get this out." He slightly moved his arm. "I can't feel that anymore..my whole arm is numb."

"Don't talk like that!" Sean shouted. "We'll get it out of you, I promise!"

"Sean, you can't!" Mark said, tears shining in his eyes. "You...you have to kill me."

He rapidly shook his head. "No..I can't I-I won't!"

"There is no other choice!" Mark said. "It's either that, or I die and come back as a zombie, trying to kill you guys. And I don't fucking want that!"

"Then let us get killed!" Sean said. "I can't go on without you, man!"

Mark's tears were strolling down his face, slowly shaking his head. "No...I'm not gonna kill you guys...just kill me..get it over with."

Lily and Jackie cried with him, gripping their arms tightly. They knew they can't do anything at this point, whether they like it or not. They have to end it, before it gets any worse.

"Sean, please." Mark said, slightly pleading. "I can feel it getting worse..you have to end it while you still can."

Sean began to feel tears stinging his eyes, refusing to do what Mark wanted. "I don't wanna kill you, man...you're my best friend, and I don't want to end your life now, I just can't..."

"You need to...I can't deal with it much longer." Mark said. "I can feel it numbing my whole side right now, meaning it's almost done." He took a few steps closer to him. "You have to do it...please."

Sean looked back at the girls, wanting their opinion on this. They only nodded, feeling immediate regret run through them. Tears flowed down his cheeks as he took out his small gun, his hand shaking as he pointed it at his best friend, loading it up. But before he did it, he suddenly hugged Mark tightly, feeling his entire body shaking with fear. They let go a minute later, squeezing each others shoulders as Mark smiled.

He nodded once. "It's okay, Sean. It's gonna be okay."

Sean shook his head. "No...it won't be."

Mark took a step back, the tears not stopping on either of the group as Sean raised his gun again, curling his finger around the trigger.

"Mark I...I'm sorry." He said, his voice wobbly.

Mark gave him a sad look. "Don't be sorry, man."

Taking a deep, shaky breath, he looked up at the hole in the roof of the shed, waiting for the time. Squeezing his eyes shut, he pulled the trigger, hearing it fire followed by a thump. Slowly opening his eyes, he saw the girls hugging each other, letting it all out. Looking ahead, he saw Mark, motionless on the ground. Running up to him, he skidded to his knees, kneeling over him. He began to cry loudly, letting it all go. His friends eyes stared at the sky, not blinking. Gathering him in his arms, Sean rested his head on Mark's shoulder, holding him tightly.

"I'm so sorry, Mark. I wish this didn't happen." He said, looking at his face, the light faded from his brown eyes. "I should've been there to protect you."

Lifting up his still shaking hand, he gently ran his palm over his eyelids, closing them for good.