Ch. 40 - Cute and Dangerous

just really relate the lyrics to the situation she's in ok thanks it'll make the moment more meaningful to you

Chapter 40

I take a small step forward on to the stage. The spotlights shine on me, my skin heating up. I squint out into the crowd unable to make out any faces. There's a lot of screaming, distracting me from my nerves in a weird way.

My hand reaches for the microphone, bringing it to my lips. "H-Hi."

The crowd cheers louder. I glance behind the stage, seeing Luke standing excitedly there with his thumbs up. Kyle is next to him, Cassie by his side. Emerson and Braden are there too.

Everyone's here but Peter.

I take a deep breath and turn back to the crowd. "Are you guys having a good time tonight?"

More cheering.

"Happy Holidays!" I say before turning to one of the band members behind me and telling them the first song. "Does anyone out there no of a band called The Killers?"

The crowd goes crazy, girls high-pitched screams pounding in my ears.

"This is my cover of their song Boots."

As the music starts to play, my nerves fly away. I focus on hitting the write notes, my heart in the song.

The applause only has me feeling more confident. I bow before telling the band my next song. Luke gave me simple instructions: pick a holiday song and a song you know by heart.

There was one song that stuck out to me.

"This next song is dedicated to a boy who meant a lot to me. He passed away over two years ago in a tragic death. He was my best friend and without him I wouldn't have met the love of my life. So, here's to Andrew. I love you."

I let out a shaky breath, steadying my heartbeat as I prepare to pour my heart out in front of two-thousand people.

Funny, I'm surrounded by thousands of people but without Peter I can feel absolutely alone. It's a strange feeling, one that lets me know I can never let go of that boy.

The beginning notes to Hear You Me begin playing, and I shut my eyes to focus on the song. The last time I performed this song was my audition for the talent show, of which I completely choked.

I guess I wanted to sing it today to prove something to myself. I'm so much different from how I was that day. I've grown to be confident, accepting. The love I have for Peter has changed me completely, and there's no way I can ever repay him.

"There's no one in town I know
You gave us some place to go.
I never said thank you for that.
I thought I might get one more chance," I sing slowly.

"What would you think of me now,
so lucky, so strong, so proud?
I never said thank you for that,
now I'll never have a chance."

I open my eyes, finding the strength in me to look at the crowd. "May angels lead you in. Hear you me my friends. On sleepless roads the sleepless go.
May angels lead you in."

"So what would you think of me now,
so lucky, so strong, so proud?
I never said thank you for that,
now I'll never have a chance."

"May angels lead you in.
May angels lead you in.
May angels lead you in."

I look behind stage, this time seeing a new face. My heart clenches as I see Peter standing with a bouquet of flowers in his hands. He looks messy, as if he just ran to the concert hall from Chicago. His smile warms my insides, which I didn't even know was possible.