Chapter Four

"Ms. Rodriguez, why don't you tell us exactly what happened the night of your abduction" Lisa asked.

"Okay" I said. "First, they took me to this warehouse where John and Reginald, Akila's husband, were to be looking over me to make sure I stayed put. There, they got high on cocaine and John tried to rape me"

"Unsuccessfully?"

"Yes. Reginald still had enough sense to get him off of me"

I looked over at Chresanto and he was raging. I never did tell him exactly what happened to me. That and the fact that I never showed any signs of mental trauma probably led him to believe that nothing had happened. He was wrong.

"Anyway, Jermaine eventually showed up angry and stuff because Akila had told Chresanto where I was"

"Your fiancé had been looking for you?"

"Yes. I had left for the mall at like two and hadn't come home."

"Continue, Ms. Rodriguez"

"We relocated to Reginald's guest house. Somehow, Chresanto found out we were there too. He showed up and Jermaine and John tried to attack him so he shot them both" I lied.

It was really me who had killed them both but I don't think the judge would have mercy on us if he knew that we had turned the incident into a Bonnie & Clyde situation. Plus. Lisa had already told me that Chresanto admitted to shooting the two of them.

"Where are you at this point, Ms. Rodriguez, to be seeing all of this?"

"Tied up in the middle of the living room"

"And where was Akila James? The woman who supposedly doesn't know what she did so wrong to you?"

"She was in the main house with Reginald"

"Aware that you were just next door?"

"Yes"

"Thank you, Ms. Rodriguez. Your Honor, it's clear that Mr. August is no threat here. It sounds to me like a man protecting the love of his life who would go on to be the mother of his child. And Akila James is only doing the same thing for her husband even if it means lying to make them look like the victims. A title that is being wrongly used in this case"

She glared at the prosecutor before saying, "No further questions"

She went back to her seat. It helped that the person who was on my side was the last one to talk to me. But I still couldn't believe that Akila actually told a lie like that knowing exactly what she did. If I thought that she was grimy before, she's ten times that now.

"You may leave the stand, Ms. Rodriguez" the judge said.

"Um...c-can I say something?" I asked.

"Of course" the judge replied.

This would have to be my final plea to the judge to let Chresanto off or at least with a small sentence.

"I know how this must look to everybody. A former stripper with a suspected drug dealer and murderer isn't exactly the loveliest couple when you first hear it" I chuckled nervously. "But my fiancé truly is the best person I know"