[8]

A week and six days had passed. This is it. Just one more day. 

We had been cooped up for two weeks, with no privacy, no freedom, no where to roam. It was cruel. Peggy and I were constantly trying to find things to do, and whenever we thought of a plan, nothing came out of it. Only a few more whips and slaps.

That morning, I woke up early. There was already a rusty, metal plate placed right under my nose. My heavy eyelids fluttered open, to the sight of a bowl filled with vegetables. I groaned. Vegetables were not something that I liked.

"Peggy, wake up. It's vegetables today. Again" I mumbled to her with great annoyance. She took one  look at the bowl and shook her head in disgust. At least the two crackers yesterday were better than these.

I picked up the damp, wooden fork and stabbed it into the vegetables. It looked awful. When I was young, my mother used to cook all sorts of nice food for my family. It was pure bliss, and I missed those times.

Unfortunately, they had been killed in a fire. Never to be seen again. It was then the journey to become an assassin had begun.

Although we were supposed to be punished in our cells, once a day, for fifteen minutes, we would be allowed to stretch ourselves and roam in the yard outside. Those were the times I enjoyed. It felt like a bird being let out of its cage after aeons. It felt like that.

Even though we were freed for that period of time, we had to be chained to the mistress in charge, Madam Shostakova. She would take control of us like a puppy on a leash. The chains were tied to our wrists like how a collar went on a dog's neck.

Afternoon rolled around, and we were free. Madam Shostakova came to get us. She locked the chain into place, and proceeded to lead us out of our prison.

As I stepped out of the building, direct rays of the sun shone into my eyes, causing me to squint. I shielded my eyes with my hands. It was a really sunny day. Hand in hand, Peggy and I ambled along the bushes. The Red Room was a dark and mysterious place. The Russian government had tried many times to find out the location of it, but to no avail. 

The bushes along the road were all scorched, their flowers drooping and wilted. The vibrant hues had faded, leaving greyish-purple spotches on them. It was an ugly sight. They were as gloomy as the day was, and it reflected my feeling.

As I was walking around, I thought about the day when we would be released from the Red Room. I thought about the path that lay ahead of me.