[15]

My eyes felt like closing, but they could not. I had a fitful night's sleep, tossing and turning in bed. I was tired out but I knew that it was time for the Sterilization.

Together with the rest of the girls, we lined up along the crumbling walls leading to the operating room. Madame B strode up to us yet again, a piece of paper in her hand.

"The first seven girls that will be operated are Natasha, Alyona, Diana, Lubov, Oksana, Klavdiya and Peggy." She looked at the paper and read out the names listed on it. Shoot. I was first in line. I clamped and unclamped my teeth, my face haggard with worry. My toes were curled tightly in my shoes, and a wave of anxiety acid welled up in my stomach.

"Natasha, please come in." A man wearing a mask and donning a cloak called out from inside the room. Alyona, who was beside me, quickly whispered words of 'good luck' before I entered. I winked at her and proceeded to walk into the room hesitantly. In the middle of the room was a bed. There were metal trays filled with cold, steely equipment placed on a table. A wave of nausea swept over me.

After I had been forced to lie down, they instantly grabbed a needle, at the same time aspirating it. Just looking at its tip could make one's skin curl. They stabbed it into me, causing me to howl in pain. Hot tears filled my emerald green eyes, causing the green to turn into a faded hue. A slap on the face followed after the scream. "Weak. Scream again and I will stab again." The man said, in halting English.

I quietened down after that, trying to contain my emotions. My eyes and face spoke of fear, pain, and worry, but he didn't seem to take notice of that. Shortly after, I passed out and everything became black.

The only thing I knew at that moment was that the operation would be over even sooner than I expected.