3~All sorts of dues

Haven ( >> In the pic, we have Lou's yumminess *fans* )

∞ Haven's POV ∞

"Damn, there are many guards on this island"

"They work hard to make sure Mila and Corail are not a target for thugs and pirates"

He nodded in understanding, oblivious to the fact that I was targeting him with my comment. He sat comfortably on my chair behind my desk.

"There's really good quality booze around here. We should go get drunk"

"Go ahead. I have work to do"

"Ugh, still haven't finished meeting nobles?"

I didn't answer him. I tried my best to ignore him since this morning and to concentrate on the documents I had in hand. I didn't even want to look him straight in the eye, and that was getting difficult with all his ranting

"So? Did you get enough money to pay those two old goats?"

"Yes, I came back from my visit to my shops and found them waiting for me. I paid them their money and apologized for missing the terms of our contracts. And they are called noble gentlemen, not goats"

I deadpanned, and then I closed my eyes and caressed them with my forefingers. I've had a splitting headache since this morning, and it wasn't getting any better with all the people coming and going to my house and my shops. Every half an hour or so, someone would ring my door, or a servant would be sent to tell me that someone is waiting for me in one of my shops or by my ship at the port. I just came back from a long exhausting and very eventful sail. I hadn't even rested before I had to deal with all the problems and affairs that piled up in my absence.

Either friends or business-foes, people kept coming and requesting to meet with me. The news about my ship being attacked by pirates flew faster than the wind across town. Some came here to ask for money or even break contracts that weren't due yet. Some just wanted to rub it to my face that I was robbed by pirates. Others would be genuinely inquiring about my health and they'd invite me over for tea or a party. The day hasn't ended yet and I was beyond exhausted.

"What about those sailors?"

"I took their pay out of the profits of the shops. The Captain will pay them tomorrow, according to their ranks", I answered as I continued to massage my temples.

"And those pathetic guards of yours?"

I wanted to scold him, insult him even! He was rude and impolite! But unfortunately for me, the asshole was right, so I just admitted it, "Yes, the pathetic hired guards as well"

My God, none of them could stand to Lou alone. How could they face strong and fearless pirates? A small and unknown pirate crew, maybe, but a crew like the Martina?? God, I'm better off without them. At least, I don't have to worry about their pay!