four ; the advance guard

After four days of agonizing chaos, Diana was finally called down to the kitchen by Dumbledore. When she arrived, she noticed a small group was seated at the table, with Dumbledore at the head. Mad-Eye was there, with Remus next to him. There was Tonks and Kingsley, Elphias Doge, Dedalus Diggle, Emmeline Vance, Sturgis Podmore and Hestia Jones. The last five she had only met a few times, for they rarely came to Headquarters unless absolutely necessary.

Dumbledore held out a hand to the nearest chair. "Sit, Diana." She obliged. As she looked around the table, she noticed everyone was excited for something.

"Diana, this is the guard who will be fetching Harry for us tonight." Everyone around the table gave a nod. "I'd like for you to be a part of it."

Diana turned her head to Dumbledore so fast she thought she might've gotten whiplash. "Me? Why me? I'm underage, I can't use my wand, what good will it do for me to be there?"

A few of the members around the table glanced at each other, but Dumbledore was the one to speak. "I haven't been completely truthful with you," he said, and Diana furrowed her eyebrows, waiting for him to continue. "When I got you out of St. Mungo's, I told you I needed approval from the Ministry. I did need it, but I didn't ask for it."

"What are you saying?" forced Diana. He stayed silent, and she understood. "You broke me out of St. Mungo's illegally!" she said, slamming her palms onto the table.

"For now, it seems that way. I was waiting to get approval because they would've registered you to be monitored. You haven't been registered to be monitored for the Statute of Secrecy. I did it so you'd be able to use your wand," he said quickly, trying to make sure she didn't get out of control.

She furrowed her eyebrows. "You're saying I could've used my wand this entire time?"

Wordlessly, Dumbledore pulled her wand out of his robes and handed it to her. She took it eagerly, examining it as if checking for injuries. She felt exhilarated and powerful with her wand in her hands. It gave her a raw sort of energy she didn't have before. She looked up at Dumbledore. "But why me?"

"Trust me, Diana."

She did.

Dumbledore spoke one last time. "You all will be leaving soon. Be careful."

•••

Harry Potter sat at his desk, fiddling with a quill idly. The Dursleys had left a little while ago to claim some stupid prize for some stupid competition and he was left here, locked in his room at night with no information whatsoever. He had been here for four weeks, locked in his room or under the window in the bushes outside and he had not gotten one word from anyone. He had gotten attacked by Dementors, why has nobody come for him?

As if on cue, something smashed in the kitchen. Someone hissed as well, not animal-like, but as if they were angry. Harry immediately grabbed his wand, pointing it at the door. All of a sudden, the lock clicked open and the door swung inward to reveal a huddled mass of people in the hall below.

"Lower your wand, boy, before you take someone's eye out."

Harry recognized that voice. "Professor Moody?" he said uncertainly.

"I don't know much about 'Professor,'" he growled. "Never got around to much teaching, did I? Get down here, we want to see you properly."

Harry lowered his wand slightly but didn't move.

"It's all right, Harry. We've come to take you away."

"Professor Lupin?" Harry said in disbelief. "Is that you?"