Chapter 12: Zombies and Sleepovers

~Blaze~

I grabbed the jars we would need for our science project off the black marble counter in the bathroom. I had put all our supplies in here earlier, thinking it would be easier to set the project up in the bathroom. Now I wasn't so sure. Walking back into my room, I saw Lacey standing perfectly still and trembling.

"Lacey?" I was confused but I didn't want to startle her. Her eyes were unfocused and she looked like she was struggling to breath. She'd been just fine when I went into the bathroom, what had happened? Suddenly, she started shaking hard and her eyes rolled back in her head a bit. I felt the jars slip out of my hand and heard them shatter on the floor.

"Lacey!" I screamed as panic engulfed me. She didn't respond to me. It didn't even seem like she heard me. I had no idea what was on. I made a dash for the in house intercom. "SCOTT! MALORY! AVERY!" I screamed into the intercom, calling the three people I could think of who might be able to help. I wished Dad Sean were home. I glanced back at Lacey just in time to see her crumble to the floor in a dead faint.

"Lacey!" I ran across the short distance between us, making it to her just in time to prevent her head from bouncing on the gleaming hardwood floor. I ran a hand down her face gently, murmuring to her, "Come on, Baby Doll. Come back to me. Wake up my beautiful Hellion. Come on Doll." I gathered her into my lap, rocking her as I just repeated myself over and over.

The loud bang of the bedroom door off the wall was the only warning I had to my siblings running into the room. I looked up, knowing they would see the panic in my eyes. Avery was holding Dad Sean's at home medical bag and the tablet that held his collection of medical texts and references. Mom had made him switch over all his books a few years ago and Avery had played with it every damn day since. He was the only one in the house who knew how to navigate the way Dad Sean had it set up. I could seriously kiss him for being smart enough to bring both it and the med bag. Scott shoved his skewed glasses back up on his nose as he came to screeching halt in front of me and dropped down to the floor. Avery placed Dad Sean's med bag next to him, opening it and reaching in for something. Scott reached toward Lacey.

I growled at him, yes actually growled. I know, I called him to help but I couldn't seem to help my reaction. Dammit, the girl I knew I was swiftly losing my heart to, just collapsed for no discernible reason. I would be damned if anyone was taking her away from me. Scott sat back on his calves, watching me carefully.

"Blaze, Man," Scott's voice was calm, carefully measured, "I won't take her anywhere. I promise." Mal's delicate hand landed on my shoulder as she dropped into my eyesight.

"Come on, Blaze. You know Scott can help." There was a tone in her voice, one I had heard often enough in Dad Kota's, that was impossible to ignore. I nodded, agreeing to let Scott take her.

"Lay her flat, Blaze. Avery, grab a couple pillows and prop up her feet," Scott was still talking in calm, measured tones. I laid Lacey down and backed up mere inches, not willing to be too far away from her. When my eye caught the alarm clock on the dresser I was shocked to see that barely two minutes had passed since she had crumbled. Avery grabbed the pillows Lacey had been nesting in when she was listening to me and tucked them under her feet. After grabbing the tablet he sat down near Mal and me and had me go over what happened so he could look it up. Mal's hand never left my shoulder. I was watching Scott out of the corner of my eye. Despite our differences, I was glad he was here. He knew more about medical stuff than any 17 year old ever should. He'd always been trailing around after Dad Sean and we all knew he was going to follow in his footsteps. He checked her pulse, listened to her heart, and then meet my eyes.