Chapter 9 - Dufflepuds

The whole group were now sleeping soundly, so soundly in fact that even if a tornado ripped across the beach none of them would wake. Sleeping on a lovely warm beach was a million miles away from sleeping in a constantly moving and rumbling ship. It was especially bad for the men trying to get any rest in the swinging hammocks that were hung practically on top of each other below decks. It was no surprise that the soft sand and the gentle sound of the waves sent them all in to a deep slumber. This could however be their downfall, they didn't even hear them coming.

"It seems they brought a pig." The invisible voice whispered as they passed Eustace, lying on his back with his mouth wide open, snorting loudly.

Two invisible beings, nothing more than voices, a breath in the air and a footprint were now looking over the resting Narnians, deciding which one would be best to take with them.

"This one, it's female." One of the voices said as quietly as possible, looking down at Lucy, who was fast asleep with reading book still in hand.

"So is this one." The other voice commented, peering down at Lauren who was still curled up in Caspian's arms.

"We could never get that one without waking the male. We'll take this one, she reads." One of the voices decided, noticing Lucy's book.

"Let's get her." They both said in unison, the first placing his invisible hand over Lucy's mouth so she couldn't make a noise and the other lifting her up in the air before carrying her away from the group.

Lucy couldn't work out what was happening as she awoke moving through the air. To the naked eye it would look like Lucy was floating but she knew that wasn't the case. She could feel hands around her waist and breathing noises as she was whisked along. She knew someone had her, even if she couldn't see them.

She struggled with all her might, desperate to get away and warn her family and friends that still lay sleeping unawares. Where were they taking her? Why were they taking her?

Suddenly she dropped, practically thrown on to the ground in what looked like some kind of ornamental garden. Lucy shook with fear knowing she would have no chance of defending herself if she couldn't see her captors.

Trying nonetheless she pulled out her dagger, bringing it out in front of her only to have it swiped away. She got to her feet trying anything to get away from the current situation she now found herself in. She was on her feet for less than a minute before she was pushed over, a painful noise escaping her lips as her elbow made impact with the hard ground beneath.

"There is no escape." A voice grunted near her, trying to scare her she had no doubt.

"What are you?" Lucy couldn't help asking as she remained on the floor.

"We are terrifying invisible beasts." One of the two not so scary voices started, shaking in tone to try and sound more terrifying.

"Yes. You would be really intimidated." The other cackled, trying just as hard and failing just as miserably.

"You forgot to mention that we are very large." One shouted at the other, now having an argument between them.

"Well what do you want?" Lucy pushed in, starting to get fed up of the voices that were circling around her.

"You'll do what we ask." The deepest voice answered once again attempting to sound menacing.

"Or what?" Lucy answered gathering some inner confidence to get her out of the situation.

"Death, death, death, death, death, death, death, death, death..." The voices chanted, now multiplying until it sounded as if there could be at least 20 individuals watching without being seen.