Chapter 17 - Please Help Us

No one knew what to expect after Edmund had revealed that the terror they were now set to face was a sea serpent. How big would it be? Would it be poisonous? How fast would it be? How set on destruction? Knowing Edmunds mind and the fact that this creature was the result of his creation they could have expected a number of things. None of those being good.

After a few minutes of staring down at the ocean below, looking out for the creature they were due to meet they began to hear and feel a rumble coming from the depths.

"This is it." Caspian shouted.

"Prepare yourselves men." He continued, the crew getting into defensive stances at Caspian's words.

The rumbling sound was getting louder and louder with each passing second. Rain had begun to crash down, lightening shot through the sky in eerie intervals and the crew were more wary than ever before.

When there was still no sign of the serpent Lucy took it upon herself to move to the opposite side of the ship, an attempt to see if she could spot the creature whilst everyone else remained in their original spot.

"Look, there?" Lauren pointed when she spotted something moving in the water in front of them. All they could make out was a long, thick, body moving slowing towards them. It was like a snake in shape and stature but was wide enough and long enough to swallow a skyscraper whole. It was dark grey in colour, spiky scales crossing its surface and was the most menacing thing any of them had ever laid eyes on, and that was before even seeing the head.

When it made contact with the ship they were once again all thrown to the floor, this time harder than the last. Managing to scramble to their feet, they clung on to anything secure they could find. It was either that or risk going overboard. You would never be found in this darkness.

"Is everyone ok?" Caspian called out clutching to the side of the ship, Lauren and Edmund taking places beside him.

Lauren gathered herself, the ship still being rocked from side to side and that's when she realised someone who was previously with them was now gone.

She quickly turned; fear soaking every inch of her body as she looked for her cousin now missing in the chaos. She was facing inwards on the ship able to see straight across the main deck and as Caspian and Edmund shouted orders to the crew Lauren spotted her, curled up in a ball trying with all her might to get to her feet.

The oldest Pevensie starting stumbling her way to her cousin, determined to reach her before the worst happened. Then she saw something staring at her through the darkness, a pair of piercing yellow eyes looking straight through her. She couldn't move, her legs were rooted to the spot with terror. Trust Edmund to think up something like this.

The head of the serpent was twice the width of its body and was covered in the same coral like scales. From what Lauren could tell it had more than 5 layers of teeth, fangs dotted in between each one. Saliva dripped from its mouth and when it turned its almighty head, Lucy catching its attention Lauren knew she had to put her fears aside and save her cousin.

"LUCYYYYYYY!" She screamed at the top of her lungs, getting the attention of both boys when she did so.

She finally found her feet again and moved faster than she would think possible on a rocking ship. When she reached Lucy she grabbed hold of her hand, pulling her to her feet and then dragged her as fast as she could out of the creature's path. They missed by inches only.

When Caspian and Edmund heard Laurens scream and saw her rescue effort they quickly gave up their posts running to the girl's sides within an instant and placing themselves between their loved ones and the creature.