Chapter 11 - Playing Second Fiddle

"I better go and find Lucy. You should get some sleep." Lauren told Caspian, both still sitting in the same spot they had been for the last hour.

"Yes I suppose you are right." Caspian returned, the couple then leaving the room and walking towards the bedroom that Lucy and Lauren were sharing.

"Sleep well." He added with a tired smile, touching his lips to Lauren's cheek before turning to go and find his own resting spot.

"You too." Lauren called back before he turned the corner, catching one last glimpse of the man she had just told she loved.

Lucy was in the bedroom getting into her night clothing when she heard the door open and close. Of course it could only be one person, but where had she been?

"I was beginning to think I might have to send out a search party for you." Lucy said as she got into her side of the bed, Lauren following soon after.

"Very funny Luc, I was just talking with Caspian. He is a little bit stressed. He needed to talk to someone." Lauren told her younger cousin, not lying just omitting to tell all of the information.

"And that is all it was? Just talking?" the youngest Pevensie asked, not quite yet convinced.

"Yes Lucy that is all it was. I told you we are just friends nothing more." Ok now she was lying.

"It's ok Lauren you don't have to tell me the truth yet. I can wait." Lucy grinned, now admitting to Lauren that she knew exactly what was going on. There was only one person that could make Lauren smile the way she was at that moment and it wasn't any of her cousins.

"Ok Luc, believe what you want to believe but I'm really tired so do you mind if I go to sleep now?" Lauren asked, not waiting for a response before shutting her eyes and drifting off into unconsciousness.

Lucy couldn't get to sleep. For nights on end she had been thinking about what Coriakin had told her, the part where he said that they would be tempted and tested, that evil had the upper hand. Lucy was just waiting for that moment to come, the moment when evil was going to strike and decide it was time to mess around. Little did she know, but that time was now, the moment when Lucy looked at Lauren with a smile etched on her face as she slept and a huge feeling of jealousy built up inside of her.

Lauren and her older sister Susan had grown up to be so beautiful, they could command the attention of anyone with just the flutter of the eyelashes or a flip of the hair. Susan had American naval officers vying for her attention and Lauren had the King of Narnia in the palm of her hand. Lucy looked on at her sleeping cousin who was totally unaware of the way she was feeling. Lauren slept so soundly with the happiest expression on her face. Would she ever meet someone that would make her so happy, even in sleep? Lucy didn't think so, and that's when she remembered the piece of paper she had hidden under the bed, the infallible spell from the book of incantations.

"Transform my reflection, cast into perfection..." Lucy began reading after gently reaching down to obtain the parchment, careful not to wake her sleeping cousin at the side of her.

"Luscious lips and complexion. Make me she whom I'd agree, holds more beauty over me." Lucy finished, looking over her body once she had done so only to notice there was no change.

Lucy, confused as to why she had not changed, slowly got out of the bed and walked over to the mirror. At first it was just her own reflection that looked back at her, but after a moment things began to change. Her freckles disappeared, her hair grew darker,  she was becoming taller, growing in certain places she had not yet and even make up was appearing on her face, a 1940's outfit of the American style taking over from her night dress.