Chapter Four

1798

A few hours later, I hardly recognize myself. Charlotte has scrubbed, plucked, and slathered me within an inch of my life, treating me like her own personal plaything, and if I do say so myself, the results are pretty spectacular. My long hair is parted into delicate sections, cascading down my back in waves of auburn curls, and my hazel eyes appear almost green against the fine forest-colored dress she's loaned me for the evening. The garment was originally a few inches too short, so Charlotte ingeniously had one of the maids sew in layers of lace at the bottom to camouflage the slight flaw.

I stare down at my hands, buffed clean, without a speck of dirt left behind from the work I was doing earlier. If you didn't know me, there's no doubt I could pass for someone from an entirely different station in life, and for a moment I'm led astray by the thought, absentmindedly fidgeting with the emerald choker placed around my neck. I've never worn something so fine, and am filled with apprehension about Charlotte lending me the piece, but she insisted.

"Stop squirming, Ellie! If you lose that thing my mother will have my head... after she's had yours."

"I shouldn't wear it. It's far too ex—"

Charlotte cuts me off. "You've got to play the part. The more affluent you appear, the more suitable men you'll attract," she explains with a tinge of exasperation as she laces up the back of my dress.

"You better mind yourself," I tease. "You're beginning to sound like your mother."

She fluffs my skirts, and steps back, clasping her hands together with pride. "Yes, well, all of her useless chatter finally has come in handy because just look at you!" Charlotte beams with pride. "You'll be fighting them off tonight!"

I turn around and stare at my reflection, almost seeing what she sees. Perhaps if you didn't know me, you might believe I come from a much finer stock. A nagging voice at the back of my head reminds me that I just might have, so I stand up a little taller, finding a faint silver lining in my whole ordeal.

When we finally make it downstairs the orchestra is in full swing and the guests are already mingling. The whole town seems to have been invited, and the evening is buzzing with potential. We take our time walking through the crowd, stopping to say hello to folks we know, and pulling each other aside in fits of giggles and gossip.

Charlotte has always been generous enough to include me in many functions over the years, much to her mother's displeasure, but I've never fit in here. I've always felt like an outsider, and tonight isn't any different. I let Charlotte pick which groups we stop and chat with, and stand quietly beside her as she lights up every conversation.

Being the hosts' daughter, and a lovely one at that, it isn't long before she's whisked away to dance and I find myself standing alone with a group of men in the middle of a heated debate about the Sedition Acts Congress recently passed. I try to appear interested in their opinions, but it isn't proving particularly easy, especially when Mr. Rothchild, keeps arguing that President Adam's was acting in his full authority.

Ambrose Myers stands across from me and I can sense his budding frustration. I've known Ambrose since I was a child. He runs the general store in town, and I've practically grown up there, making deals and bartering with him for the items we've needed but couldn't afford. He's wonderful—the kind man who will always allow you to get the better end of the deal when you need it, and he's always gone out of his way to look out for me.

His son Tobias is standing next to him, at about his same height with broad shoulders and a mess of brown hair that curls above his collar. Tobias has always been soft spoken, and usually keeps to himself, but it's clear that he's inherited all of his father's best qualities. I've even had the chance to benefit from some of his kindness over the years.