04⎜The Barbecue

04⎜The Barbecue

           “You have got to be kidding me.”

           “Is this actually the place?”

           “Welcome to Douchebag Central!”

           “Why are we here, babe?”

           “Because both of our roommates wanted us to be here, loser.”

           “Shouldn’t we probably go in?” I interrupted the couple’s immediate response to the vast building that stood before us.

           It was the kind of structure that had large pillars, was painted white, and held some resemblance on the outside to that of the White House, while on the inside it was undeniably filled with booze and boys. The overall exterior of it wasn’t what scared me, for the regal-esc caused me an odd sense of calm, as if order and properness were exhibited within. What did instill some amount of anxiety in me, however, were the vibrations already pumping from the “house” to where I was standing. The second I walked inside, music would be pounding into my ears, threatening my sense of hearing for good. Like the couple, I didn’t really want to be here right now, either. Alas, I gave my word, so there was no turning back.

           “Or we can just turn around right now,” Seth suggested the thought that I had been seriously considering myself.

           “No,” Noa shook her head firmly, a decision having been made in her mind. There was no going back now that she knew what she wanted to do. “I got dressed up for this crapfest, so there is no way in hell that we are leaving now. It would be a waste of a good outfit, and there’s going to be free beer, so that’s reason enough to go. C’mon.”

           The girl who was currently in a neon green dress that didn’t quite employ all the basic virtues of “modesty” walked right up to the large door, not even wavering slightly in her bright yellow heels of an absurd height. She stuck her finger out and courageously pressed down on the doorbell of the building. Drawn-out seconds passed, and then we were suddenly greeted by a tall boy with dark straight hair, a blue button-down, khaki shorts, boat shoes, and a beer in hand.

           “Hi,” the guy said, carefully scrutinizing each of us before his eyes settled on me. He extended his open hand to me, and we shook. “I’m Scott.”

           “Eric,” I introduced myself.

           “Eric…Wilson?” he questioned hesitantly as I almost cursed aloud right then and there. Eric Wilson. The fact that he was using my last name meant that he had somehow heard of me, which was weird, considering I had only talked to about twelve people over the past five days. I didn’t want the reputation of being The Eric Wilson—I had already lived that reality in high school. Eric. That was all I wanted to be known as. No surname attached for the sake of prestige—just Eric.

           “Yeah,” I nodded slowly, contemplating lying and telling him that that wasn’t my name, but I had already learnt my lesson with Liz, being that the truth was always the best option.

           “Well, welcome, dude!” he smiled at me, turning to the other two who were with me for a brief moment. “Who are you two?”

           “I’m his roommate,” Seth said stiffly, neglecting to mention his own name.

           “And you?” Scott asked Noa, his eyebrows raised marginally.

           “Well, I’m his girlfriend,” she pointed to Seth, “but I’m also Kay’s roommate.”