15⎜The Party

15⎜The Party

           “So, babe,” the girl before me shouted over the music, smiling widely at me, “where ya from?”

           “Uh, New York,” I replied back, bobbing my head a little, for it was the only thing I could think to do in the situation.

           To any bystander just brushing past us, it would appear as though the girl and I were dancing. If one were to observe us for more than two seconds, though, they would quickly learn that only one of us was actually dancing. Personally, I happened to be standing as straight as a plank of wood, trying to nod my head to the beat wafting through the air as the girl I had been pushed into moved her body rhythmically and appropriately, not as tense as I. I happened to be a typical white boy, so didn’t dance. It was rule I had made for myself long ago, and I had stuck by it thus far. I was only so coordinated to the point where I could throw a ball while simultaneously running, but couldn’t dance. Eric Wilson and dancing were like Peyton Manning and water polo—they didn’t mix.

           “Oh, yeah?” the girl shouted. “I’m from Jersey!”

           “Nice,” I said with a tight smile, not desiring to voice my views on the Garden State at the moment. She was about to say something more, but then a certain blonde girl bumped her way over to me, apologizing sweetly to the Jersey girl as she pushed her away. She smiled up at me angelically, resting her hands on my shoulders so that her arms stayed rigid, separating us. Tentatively, I found myself placing my own hands on her waist, unsure if it was what was supposed to be done. She didn’t object, so I figured that I was fine.

           “So, are you havin’ a good time so far, Eric?” asked my southern dance partner.

           “Yeah, I guess,” I shrugged a bit.

           “Who was that trashy girl you were just talkin’ to?” she decided to insult the girl from New Jersey, but it didn’t sound like an insult at all. Somehow, she had the ability to make it sound sweet and nice, as if she had been complimenting the poor girl.

           “I have no idea, Kay,” I answered honestly.

           “Uh huh,” she mumbled, looking over to someone or something behind me. I twisted my head in order to see what she was looking at, and turned back when I realized it was Ari and Scott dancing. Well, kind of. Ari was almost as stiff as I, though Scott refused to acknowledge her obvious aversion to dancing, so kept his hands on her waist, even though she remained unresponsive. It was certainly an Ari Remon thing to do—that was for sure.

           “They seem close,” I commented, talking about Ari and Scott.

           “They are,” Kay replied, smiling softly. “They’ve known each other forever and have been through a lot.” I nodded at that, not saying anything else, for I had a hunch that Kay would soon fill the momentary drought of conversation. “So, um, I know this is none of my business, but I really think that you should join the frat. You’d like it, and all the boys are just wonderful!”

           “I’m considering it,” I replied halfheartedly, because honestly, I hadn’t really given it much thought. There had been so many other things occupying my mind that I didn’t need the pressing decision of the frat looming closely in the air.

           “Good,” she smiled, her gaze not fixed on me, but rather someone behind me. I could only assume that she was staring at Scott, for Ari was turned around, unable to see either of us.

           The loud song that was pumping through the air came to a close, pausing momentarily as the next one started up. At that transition moment, I witnessed Kay Rodgers meticulously nod her head, and mouthing what I thought to be, “Go!” over to the person at whom she had been looking. And then, I felt myself being propelling from Kay’s causal grip straight into another girl, who also seemed to be a bit confused at what was going on. Our bodies collided, and an on instinct I grabbed her shoulders to steady her, and then looked from Kay to Scott, both of whom had sheepish grins on their faces. They had pushed Ari Remon and me into each other for whatever reason, conjuring all the awkwardness that could be found on earth to this one moment.