Charlie

Chapter 18

Charlie

*SWEET DREAMS. X*

Louis’ final text came through, and I could barely keep the smile off my face. I really wanted to see him again, and as I only less than two weeks left in London, I wasn’t about to wait around for him to make the first move. This was me, taking life by the horns and living to the full. I was just relieved he had said yes, otherwise that would have been embarrassing.

          “Look at her blush, she just can’t help it!” Katherine squealed from the end of my bed, where we were all sprawled with a mound of chocolate and sweetie goodness piled in the middle.

          “Is someone texting…a boy?” Laura teased, attempting to grab my phone whilst I leant out of her reach.

          “Yes. And you two need to be out of the house tomorrow, Louis is coming round.” The sounds of squeals and cheers that echoed around the room literally hurt my ears as they jumped up and bounded around in excitement.

          “Seriously, Charlie! Who are you and what have you done with my best friend? She never used to be this spontaneous! I’m loving it though,” Laura said as they calmed down and picked at the sweets.

          “Maybe I’m not, but apparently Veronica is,” I said mischievously, causing the girls to grin. My phone interrupted our girlish antics and I glanced down, surprised to see my mother’s name pop up on the screen.

          “Is that lover boy?” Katherine joked, but I shook my head.

          “No, it’s my Mum. I’ll be right back,” I said as I slipped out the door into the hallway, answering the phone as I did so. “Hey, Mum.”

          “Hi sweetie, how are you?”

          “I’m…fine.” I hadn’t told her about the antics we had been up to in London, I wasn’t supposed to tell anyone and I knew my mother would massively freak out if I told her what we had been up to recently. “Busy, doing loads of great stuff every day. You’re phoning quite late, is everything alright?”

          “Oh, of course. I just miss you, that’s all.” I felt guilty remembering that my mother was all alone in the house back in Ireland whilst I was here having the time of my life with my two best friends.

          “I miss you too Mum.”

          “So…tell me all about what you girls have been up to then?” she asked, and I hesitated, not sure what to say.

          “I’m not certain you’ll believe me, it’s been crazy.” I smiled at the sound of her soft laughter, as familiar as my own heartbeat.

          “Why don’t you start from the beginning?” she said softly, and though I could feel the words forming on my tongue, itching desperately to tell her everything that had been going on, I just couldn’t. I couldn’t worry her like that, knowing that I was essentially committing fraud, or whatever this was.

          “Well, I met a guy,” I answered finally, choosing to tell her about Louis instead. That way she would become so absorbed in my love life like she always did and not question me about what else I had been up to. That way I wouldn’t have to lie.  

          “You did huh? Tell me more,” Mum said, sounding intrigued, just like I knew he would.

          “Well, he’s a real gentleman, but…”

          “But what, honey?” she sounded concerned, tugging at my heartstrings.

          “I’m only here for a couple of weeks Mum. Less than that, really. I don’t want to start anything only to have to leave it before it’s even begun,” I said, trying not to sound too upset as reality hit me. What were Louis and I doing, really? I wasn’t even really me, and I lived in another country. It was a disaster mission, right from the start. I was being reckless, and stupid. I was letting my heart rule over my head, something I had trained myself not to do.

          “Oh, Charlie stop. You’ve always been so practical, always worrying about what others think instead of yourself. For once, just let yourself be young, be free. I know you worry about me, and I wish you didn’t feel like you have to, but you need to use this time for yourself. If you like the guy, why not? Just don’t do anything stupid,” she added as an afterthought, turning from my best friend to my mum quickly, making me laugh.

          “Why do you always have to make sense?”

          “Because I am your mother, that’s why. And I know a little about being reckless, I was young once, you know,” she said, sounding offended though I knew she really wasn’t. My mother had a heart of gold, she could never be mad at anyone. She wasn’t even mad when my father left us, just…sad. But I didn’t want to think about that right now.

          “Of course you were Mum, and you still are at heart.” She chuckled for a moment before falling into thoughtful silence.

          “I think you should go for it Charlie. If you really like this guy, what is really stopping you? Aside from your head, that is.” I thought about her words for a moment before realising she had a point. I obviously liked Louis, it was pointless to deny it, and I would cross the bridges when I came to them. I was done worrying about things in the future when I could be having fun right now.

          “Thanks Mum. I’ll think about it. I’m gonna head to bed now, it’s been a really long day and I’m so tired,” I said, saying goodbye.

          “Alright, sweetheart. Goodnight and I’ll speak to you soon. I want to hear more about this boy later on,” she said as a parting word and I hung up laughing, as I always did when I spoke to my mum.

I found myself falling asleep that night to the idea of Louis and I happy together, way past this two week deadline looming over my head. It was scary how much I desperately wanted it to be real.

Author's Note: bit of a filler, but I couldn't forget about Charlie's mum, I love her too much! Hope you enjoyed it, a good solid chapter should be just around the corner, I promise...

Ellen x