Chapter 6

"I think we're here, Alice," Ciel told me. I had been taking a short nap on the platform of the tower, much to his annoyance. My eyes opened, and I looked around at our surroundings.

"And just in time, too! Alright, help me down," I ordered as I stood. He offered me his hand, and I stepped onto it. After being lowered to the ground, I made my way to the lake.

I couldn't be on him when he was shrinking, or I'd fall and get crushed, so I needed to find something else to get him the water in. He only needed a small sip, after all. I remembered a Cupa bush grew nearby. I ventured a little farther from the lake and found it. I plucked a Cupa from the bush. It was a flower, but it looked like a saucer with a teacup attached. They grew all over Wonderland in many different climates and terrains. They were probably the longest lasting species of vegetation.

I ran back to the lake and scooped some of the water into cup. I saw something in the water and wanted to stop and look but decided it'd be best to investigate that in a few minutes. Then, I went back to Ciel. As I placed it into his hand, I instructed, "Be careful! Don't spill any! And drink all of it!"

He tipped his head back and swallowed the small amount of liquid. I stepped back a few feet as he clutched his heart once more. "What the devil is happening!" he yelled. Shrinking was much more painful than growing. Your muscles contracted and every tendon and ligament in your body tensed. In severe cases, it felt like your bones were being crushed. Luckily, Ciel wasn't tall enough to have that happen, but he was in a great amount of pain. The tower surrounding him crumbled and turned into dust. I coughed from it and wiped it off my clothes. Then, he kneeled as he shrunk.

I walked over and slapped him on the back, "Welcome back to the world of normal-sized people, mate!"

Ciel stood up shakily, still getting used to his new size, and managed, "Thank you for the help."

"My pleasure. Couldn't have you walking around like that, yeah? By the way, the water was clear, right? It wasn't a strange color?" I wondered.

"It-It was clear! Why?" he asked, looking alarmed.

"At night, Cupas secrete a very poisonous, warm liquid into their cup. It looks brown, and any poor bloke walking by would think it's hot chocolate. I suspected it wouldn't do anything of the sort until the sun went down, but I wanted to make sure," I explained.

"You almost killed me!" he accused.

I smirked, "But I didn't." He glared at me. I started walking to the lake. "Anyways, we'll stay here for the night. I'm sure your tired. Growing and shrinking can take a lot out of a person."

Ciel sighed, "I suppose I'm a bit tired. Hey, where are you going?"

"To see something." I kneeled next to the water and smiled at the reflection. I ran my fingers lightly over my skin, "So, that's what I look like? How interesting." The girl looking back at me had pale skin, long, black hair tied back into a ponytail, and light grey eyes. Huh. I do look like an Alice, I thought.

"You've spent almost the whole day not knowing what you look like?" Ciel asked, a little surprised.

"I told you, I know nothing about myself. That included my appearance," I nodded. I didn't take my eyes off of her. It seemed unreal that I was seeing myself for the first time.

"If you had asked, I would have told you," he offered.

I shook my head, "No, that wouldn't do. You'd miss many things."

"Like?"

"Describe my physical features," I challenged.

"Um, you have black hair. It's long and in a ponytail. It reaches the middle of your back. Your eyes are grey. You have fair skin. Is there really anything else you need to know?" he wondered.