Chapter 23- Katie's Choice

Katie's P.O.V

After a very interesting conversation with my wolf this morning, about various topics, I found myself wandering around the pack house. I had bumped into Sara and one of the triplets, both hugged me and told me how glad they were happy I was home.

I made my way towards an open door that led outside. I could see the pack children running around in the playground, one of the many things that was situated on this massive property. Before I could venture out any further, a voice stopped me.

" I dont think The Alpha would like you going outside unsupervised," the same guy that was in my room said.

I merely glanced at him from the corner of my eye before starking out the door.

The glare from the sun caused me to squint as I took in my surroundings. Kids ran left and right around the playground, the scene reminding me of when I was a little girl.

" Hey"

My head whipped to the side to the side to see a lady cradling a baby, sitting on a bench beside me. I was so caught up in watching the kids I didnt notice her sitting there.

" Katie, right?," she asked again once I didnt respond.

" Yes ma'am," I smiled at her.

" Oh please, call me Ashley," she responded and motioned to the space beside her on the bench. I sat down.

My eyes wandered to the little bundle in her mother's arms, watching as the baby squirmed a bit in her mother's arms.

" Your baby is precious," I said.

She smiled at me and looked down at the baby. " You heard that June, she thinks you're precious. Do you wanna hold her?"

" I-," I sputtered, not managing a response before the baby was placed in my arms.

She was a beautiful little girl. Big bright brown eyes and soft brown curls. She was innocent, so pure, so unaware to her surroundings and bad things of the world; the evil that resides. I was mesmerized by the tiny being for a while, only breaking my stare away from her when her mother spoke.

" I heard what happened," she said softly.

" Oh," was all I managed to say.

She sighed. " Look Katie, I know what he did was wrong but you didnt have to run away"

" What?," I half shouted. Is she serious?. " He hurt me and your only siding with him because he's your Alpha"

" I'm not siding with him or you," she shook her head. " You're both wrong in what you did. Whst if he acts up again?. Are you going to run away then to?"

Was I? If the oppurtunity showed itself what would I do?

I shrugged and peered down at June in my arms. She was staring back up at me, sucking on her pacifier.

" Exactly," she continued. " It wont solve anything"

It was the same thing me and my wolf had talked about earlier. Running wont solve my problems.

" I know," I admitted softly. She placed a hand on my shoulder.

" It's okay. Men tend to be more in touch with their wolves than women, so they tend to get aggravated easily, especially Alphas," she said.

Something changed in her tone when she said " especially Alphas" . I looked at her strangely.

" Is something wrong?," I asked.

" The death of our previous Alpha and Luna caused this pack a great deal of pain, it affected Liam the most. He had to take over the pack a little earlier than planned. He was the sweetest boy growing up but after their death he just turned..cold"

" How so," I asked, now intrigued with our conversation.

" He changed the rules, all of them. Made us work harder..longer. Many pack members grew to hate him, but feared him the most"

To say I was shocked would be an understatement, but a certain determination grew within me when she finished explaining herself.

The lady confessed things to me I'm sure sge wouldnt tell to any stranger. She was voicing their troubles- their pain- to me because dhe wanted change, because I was bound to be their future Luna.

And also the only possible one that could get The Alpha to change.

Suddenly the lady's phone rang and she answered. " Hello?"

June drew my attention away from her mother when she cooed. I used my index finger to tickle her tummy and she squealed.

" No, I understand," the lady sighed. " Okay, bye"

She ran a hand through her hair in fustration. " Something wrong?," I asked.

" My babysitter just cancelled on me. " And I have to be at work by eleven"

Dont do it Katie.

" I could watch her for you"

" Really?"

" Yes"

****

Taking care of June was a lot easier then I originally thought or maybe she was just a calm baby. I had already fed her- and myself- played with her and now she was asleep in my arms as I watched TV on the small couch in my room.

There was a knock at my door and the knob twisted open. Liam strode in holding a large brown envelope. I avoided eye contact with him until he stood in front of me. I watched as he squated to sit on the small table.

" Hey," he said.

" Hello," my voice was barely above a whisper.

" How are you feeling?"

Forgive and forget was one of the things me and my wolf talked about.

I shrugged. " Fine, I guess"

He nodded before placing the envelope on the couch beside me. " This is for you"

And just like that he left.

I shifted June in my arms a bit so I could ooen the envelope with one hand. A letter spilled out and I read it.

Katie,

I dont know where to start with this, but I guess it would be best to begin by telling you that I love you. Im not the best at showing it, but I do. And thats why Im writing this to you. Apologies wont fix what I did and excuses wont justify it.

Ethan told me what your father did to you. He didnt want to but I forced it out of him so dong be mad at him. Im trying my best not to find the bastard and kill him myself. But it made me realise why you ran away in the first place. I was
treating you like he did.

So I understand if you want to leave. Kind of the main reason I wrote you this letter, to tell you, you can. You can pack your bags, walk out the door and never look back. I wont stop you and I would respect your decision.

- Liam

Was Liam suggesting that I reject him?

************************************************
Author's Note:

Sup!

So school started...

Only a week and Im already pissed.

What do you think about Liam's letter?

Vote!!

Comment!!

- booksmiler