Night 2~

It was cold and dark as the Phantomhive carriage traveled through the night. The young lord, Ciel Phantomhive, sat with a stoic mask, dressed in his finest for the ball he was to attend. He grumbled under his breath about how pointless the event was. Usually he would have simply rejected the invitation, but something had caught his eye in the way it was written.

The House of Ravenwing cordially invites Earl Ciel Phantomhive to the Masquerade Ball being held at the Ravenwing Manor this evening. Please arrive in your best, a mask will be provided. I look forward to finally making your acquaintance. 

His black gloved hand held the invitation tightly as his irritation grew, the night's festivities had not yet begun and he was already too tired to be bothered with the mysterious household and the ball that ensued. Ciel felt the carriage come to a gentle stop before the door opened to reveal his butler clad in black as per usual.

"We have arrived young master," Ciel rolled his eyes as he was helped out of the carriage.

"Sebastian, something is off." The butler raised an eyebrow at his master, "The letter was in present tense, specific to me and my household, and with no date or other common information. There is no way an invitation sent by normal means would have arrived in time. Keep watch and act befittingly."  

"Yes, my lord."

The two entered the large mansion alight with festivities. Ciel naturally drifted to the far walls, avoiding guests and further attention. Sebastian smirked at his master's behavior but made no comment, knowing it would only irritate the young lord. Ciel made note of the various partygoers, all dressed in their masks of bright colors and jewels. He scoffed at the novelty, recognizing figures such as his Aunt Angelina, or Madam Red. He heard footsteps click across the tiled floors, approaching them.

"Complements of the mistress..." a young girl with a mask of roses held out two masks for the butler and his charge.

Ciel took the mask that was offered to him, it was black with blue lace and thread. Most peculiar of all was instead of the normal eye holes there was only one, the other side held a dark blue rose and what looked to be a black king chess piece, covering his contract eye. He looked to his butler and saw he too held a mask, only his was simple, plain black with minor details of feathers on the side.

The girl bowed before moving to search for her mistress, her long red skirts annoyed her, they were heavy and difficult to maneuver in. Finally she managed to make her way to the far corner of the room where her mistress stood, "They were delivered my Lady..."

The woman smiled slightly at the girl, "You have done well dear," she patted the  girl's head in an affectionate manner before turning to look at the festivities. The mask she wore was jeweled in silver and black stones, lined with lace and cut with intricate swirls and coils, "I believe all the guests have arrived Rose, it is time to greet them."

"Understood..." The girl flitted off, most likely to tell the others it was time. The woman went to stand at her place at the top of the steps in order to greet her guests, her loyal servants flanking her on every side.

"Welcome all," the chattering of guests had calmed at the clear voice, "I am exceedingly grateful to all that have come and wish you all well, my name is Veronica Ravenwing and I truly hope you all enjoy the festivities. Whether you are an old acquaintance of mine or we are meeting for the first time, please enjoy the party to your hearts content." Veronica glided down the grand staircase with grace befitting a queen, the guests were enamored with her beauty.

Ciel looked on in wonder, a sense of familiarity had overcome him when Lady Ravenwing had appeared to greet her guests. How peculiar, normally a masquerade was meant as a clever way to disguise the identity and yet this woman had so boldly broken the unspoken rule and revealed herself. "Sebastian." The butler looked at his young master in question with his usual smirk in place, "Find Lady Ravenwing and bring her to me, I wish to meet her."