Chapter 9

"(Y/n)." I opened a bleary eye. The barn was dark and Bree and Beth were still asleep. "Get up."

I sat up and stretched. "What? Daryl. My turn to watch?" I peeked out of the barn door. The sun was slowly coming up over the tree tops.

"Hey, why didn't you get me up earlier?!" I scrambled to my feet. "Dude, it's been, like, hours and hours!"

Daryl smirked slightly. (Okay, I will reluctantly admit that his smirk is kinda hot.)
"I don't need as much sleep as ya both do. Figured the princess would like her beauty sleep."

I hit his arm. "Oh shut up! Go sleep! And I'm NOT a princess!"

He chuckled and settled down against the horse. He closed his eyes and crossed his arms over his chest.

I signed and trudged to the barn door. I shivered and hugged myself, leaning against a beam by the open door.

It was cold. A thin, silver line edged the blades of grass. Frost. I signed. Yup, fall was coming.

I shivered and blew warm air into my hands, watching the sun rise slowly over the horizon. I wished the sun would either rise faster or... yeah.

The horse is warm, of course.
I thought crossly, glancing at the cozy Beth and steadily breathing Daryl.

Does he even need sleep? I wondered, watching him. Does he get cold?

I stopped thinking about it and went back to trying to warm my fingers.

After a minute of standing there a voice tickled my ear. "You ain't no good at keeping guard."

"AH!" I yelped, wheeling around. Daryl smirked and I punched his chest angrily. "I hate you! You know that?!"

"I got the notion." He lifted up a blanket. "'ere. I found it in the loft. This should keep ya warm."

I took it and wrapped it around my shoulders great fully. "Thanks." I smiled.

He nodded once with a grunt, and went back to lying down. I smiled, and enjoyed getting warm in the blanket.

I turned back to the sun, and watched it rise, staining the sky like gold.