Two

Lauren groggily awoke the next morning to the sound of her text notification. The short tone played loudly and Lauren cursed herself for setting her ringer to the highest volume. She groaned and picked up her phone, which displayed two texts. Lauren smiled wider than she'd like to admit at what she saw on her screen.

[unknown number]: Good morning! Well... You told me to text you, so... Here i am! Texting you! This is getting weird, sorry...

[unknown number]: Oh this is Camila, by the way.

Lauren's smile remained wide on her face as she created a new contact for the girl, her name in her phone simply: Camz. Lauren decided not to keep "Camz" waiting too long, so she decided to type up a quick reply.

On the other end of the conversation, Camila sat nervously waiting for a reply from Lauren.

When her phone finally went off, denoting a message received, Camila's heart rate spiked. She quickly snatched up her phone, nearly dropping it, and opened the text.

L: Good morning to you too, Camz ;) Did you sleep well?

Camila grinned widely at Lauren's use of her nickname. She felt her cheeks heat up at the sight of it, the new name was a foreign thing to her. No one called her Camz... well, except Lauren. Now her mind was plagued with memories of the previous night, how enjoyable it was even without any plans. Or her boyfriend. Shit, her boyfriend.

Camila's positive mood was instantly ruined by the thought of Austin standing her up. She was definitely upset, but Austin and their situation could wait. She had to reply to Lauren first.

She unlocked her phone and read Lauren's text again, her smile returning as her eyes traveled over the words on her screen. She eagerly tried to formulate a "cool" response to Lauren's message. She typed tons of messages, but deleted them all for fear of sounding weird or dorky. She bit her lip, deep in thought. She kept wracking her brain for good ideas but could come up with none.

Fuck it, she thought finally. She typed out and sent the first thing that entered her mind.

C: Yeah! I slept alright, you? :$

"Shit..." she whispered to herself as she noticed her typo. "Fuck... goddamn it," she groaned and dropped her phone on her duvet as she leaned back in embarrassment, hitting the back of her head on her bed's headboard. She winced in pain and her cheeks grew even redder with humiliation. She quickly snatched her phone back up again in an attempt to correct the weird situation she had just created.

C: Shit I meant to type this :) but I hit the dollar sign instead of the right parentheses whoops

Parentheses? Parenthesis? Parenthese? Shit, what's the singular form of parentheses? Camila thought nervously. But she soon decided to send it as is so she could get her apology out before Lauren could say anything.

Lauren picked up her phone when she heard it buzz on her bedside table. She scanned the texts she received and giggled lightly upon reading Camila's typo and explanation for it.

L: No big deal, Camz. Also, idk if it means anything to you, the singular form of "parentheses" is "parenthese" just in case you were at all wondering

She smiled at the text she had just sent, hoping that she didn't sound rude when she had corrected Camila. The last thing she wanted was for this conversation to end. She was having a great time, and they had just barely begun speaking.