Epilogue

Dionysus sits on the top of the Millennium Hotel watching the sun rise with his two new friends—the human Jean-Luc and the angel Penemue. They drink from his very, very special bottle of ambrosia corked at the dawn of time. He knows that he has thrown his last party, a party for which tomorrow will never come. At least not for him.

Fine by him. Grand even. This is the end that was always meant for the god Dionysus. Better to burn out than fade away. That is who he is.

As the day is born and his night falls, Dionysus raises a glass one last time. "To the end," he says, noticing for the first time how old he has become.

"To the end," the angel and human repeat. It is a good toast. The perfect toast given where he is going. It is the message Hermes should have given when the gods left.

He thinks back to the beginning, to his family—Athena, Hades, Aries and his father, that old static fart Zeus. He misses them and hopes that they are happy, wherever they are.

As the veil of eternal night falls on Dionysus, an old memory flickers in his mind. A moment from the eve before the GrandExodus...

"Oh yeah," he mutters far too softly for either human or angel ears to hear, "That's where they went..."