Chapter Two

CHAPTER TWO.

+ Sam's POV  +

The first thing I noticed was my pounding headache. I forced my eyes open, and grimaced as my vision returned to me in little spots of colour. The bar was still deafening, and I was slightly disturbed to see that not even an unconscious dude lying on the floor was enough to dull the party vibe. In fact, it wasn't even enough to stop anyone from dancing.

"Get up, you piece of shit," a gruff voice ordered.

Looking up, I spotted the guy who had punched me hovering over me, his dark hair framing his angry face. Now, I wasn't one to deny a pretty face, but... this idiot just knocked me out!

I pushed myself off the grimy bar floor quickly, squaring my shoulders as I faced the guy. I'll admit my confidence decreased slightly as I took in his height; he towered over me.

"What the fuck is your problem?" I demanded.

The guy simply let out a bark of laughter as he crossed his arms and narrowed his eyes at me. I'd be lying if I said my gaze didn't flitter over the defined muscles in his arms, but I was brought back to attention when he spoke. "My problem is that you were getting all up in my girlfriend's face."

Oh, here we go, another territorial straight guy. I rolled my eyes lightly and considered just telling him the truth – that I was 200% gay – but something made me pause. I didn't know this guy at all, what if he was homophobic? What if he punched me again? I don't think my pretty face could handle another beating. Then there was also the question of how the hell I was meant to explain why I was hitting on his girlfriend if I was gay. Sure, my plan made sense in my head, but spoken aloud to another person that wasn't Cammie or Jackie? Not so much.

"Look, sorry dude," I said eventually, raising my hands in mock surrender and trying my best to sound manly, "I didn't know she was taken. No harm done, right? Well, other than to my face."

The guy's eyes narrowed even further (if that's possible) as he assessed me. I could basically see the cogs turning in his head, trying to figure out if I was for real. Well yes, Mr. Brooding Man, I am. As far you know, anyway.

"Fine," he said shortly as he glared at me, and let me just say, his eyes could freeze fire. "Just stay away from her."

One of my (perfectly shaped) eyebrows sprung up at this, and I couldn't help the smirk that slid onto my face. I glanced behind the guy to his girlfriend, who was still sitting on the stool watching us. "So you're his property, then? Duly noted."

I felt more than heard the guy growl. Whoops, I pissed him off. Yes, I know that I was basically poking a sleeping lion, but come on. That girl looked like she could take care of herself, I doubt she needed this macho idiot to fight her battles.

"Look, Sam, was it? I'm flattered and everything, but I think you should go," the girl said.

I honestly don't know what compelled me to say what I did next. Was I asking for a fight? A fight that, by the way, I would definitely lose? Apparently.

"Okay, but let me know when you get sick of this idiot and I'll show you a real man," I finished with an obvious wink before spinning around and slipping into the crowd of dancing bodies. As I stalked away with fake confidence, I could hear the girl struggling to stop the guy from chasing after me, and I smirked softly.

I couldn't help seeing this as a victory. I mean, yes, I got punched, but I also made a super attractive hetero dude feel threatened. I just pulled off being straight, and as I pushed my way outside and took in gulps of fresh air, I thought that maybe, just maybe, I could survive at my new school after all.