Chapter Six

pic of Sam's outfit

CHAPTER SIX.

+ Sam's POV  +

In my opinion, there's almost nothing better than waking up late on a Saturday morning, free from obnoxious alarms and parents knocking on bedroom doors. I blinked lazily at the sunlight peaking gently through my blinds, creating horizontal lines of shade on the timber floor. The bed beneath me, although once unfamiliar and new, was plush and comfortable as I buried my face into my pillow.

I hadn't been able to sleep for hours last night, kept awake by images of Axel, and the memory of his breath on my neck and his lips on mine. A shiver ran through me again, although I wasn't sure whether it was out of lust or anger. He had a girlfriend, and he kissed me. Regret and disgust flooded through me, and I knew then that I wouldn't give him the time of day again. Despite the tingles that shot through me when we locked eyes, or the warmth that him saying my name brought, I refused to be associated with a cheater.

The saddest part was, I couldn't even tell his girlfriend, because doing so would wrench me out of the closet, and who knows what would happen if my father found out. It was such a small town, gossip like that would be impossible to contain.

A groan escaped my mouth as I sat up in bed. The memories swirling around in my head forced me to be wide awake as I glanced at the time on my phone. 10:42am.

"Sam!" My father's voice called from downstairs, and I felt every muscle in me stiffen as I trudged out of my room and down into the kitchen.

"Morning," I mumbled, rubbing sleep out of my eyes.

My father's eyes narrowed as he examined my messy hair, tracksuit pants and bare feet. "It's almost 11 o'clock Sam, you should be ready by now."

"Ready for what?" I croaked, grabbing an apple from the fruit bowl.

My father was already dressed and ready for the day, his coffee cup empty and his suit looking crisp.

"I was thinking," my father began, rinsing his mug in the sink, "since I have work business all day today-"

"But it's Saturday," I interrupted, immediately regretting it when I heard my father sigh in annoyance.

"I know that. I have an important client that myself and the other partner of the firm are taking out for lunch, not that it's any of your business. I'd like you to get yourself dressed and head down to the mall, I've organized an interview for you at T.K. Brooks," he said matter-of-factly.

"A job? At a suit shop?" I guffawed in disbelief.

My father growled, "Yes, Samuel, a job at a suit shop. 12pm. Don't embarrass me either - I've been a customer of theirs for years. You need to start taking some responsibility for your future and building your resume."

I took a deep breath, trying to look nonchalant as I crunched on my apple, stalling for time. There was no way I'd be able to talk my father out of making me go to this interview; he was almost as stubborn as I was when he'd made a decision.

"Sure, I'll go have a shower now." I caved, backing towards the staircase, eager to escape from his judgmental gaze.

\\//\\//

I looked ridiculous. The tiny shopping mall bathroom felt claustrophobic as I stood in front of the mirror, wishing that I could rip the clothes off my body and replace them with jeans and a hoodie. My beige chinos were itchy as all hell, my white t-shirt was thin and at risk of showing just how nervous I was (sweat marks for days), and my black blazer made me feel as though I was back in high school.

I knew that, objectively, I looked good. With my long hair combed back out of my face, it was an outfit my father would have approved of. T.K. Brooks had definitely approved.

The interview, of course, had gone well. They'd offered me the job straight away; "We'd love to hire you Samuel! Your father has been a valued customer for years, it's the least we can do to repay him!"

They wanted me to start Monday afternoon, and all I could do was smile and nod and tell them I was SO excited to get started! In reality, of course a suit shop was the last place I'd ever want to work. It was 100% my father, and 0% me. But at least I could work there in peace, without risking running into anyone from school.

After insistent begging and persisting, I had agreed to let Arden meet me at the mall after the interview. She was waiting outside the bathroom when I finally emerged, feeling somewhat dead inside at the thought of spending my days selling itchy suits to old businessmen.

Her face lit up when she saw me, and her eyebrows flew to the top of her forehead, "oh la la, look at you!"

"Shut up," I grumbled, but I couldn't resist chuckling as she snuck an arm around my waist.

"I'm glad it went well," she said seriously, giving me a slight squeeze. "I mean, since I'm single as hell and don't have a boyfriend to buy me presents, that responsibility now falls to you, dear Sam."

I simply rolled my eyes, flinging an arm over her shoulders. "Of course, dear Arden. What do you want your first present to be? A dildo?"

She pretended to think, tapping a finger on her chin, before deciding, "Well it could be useful."

We both laughed loudly, causing an old couple walking in front of us to turn around and shoot us a glare. But that wasn't what made my laugh stop cold.

My muscles stiffened and my blood ran cold as we walked past the T.K. Brooks store, because at the coffee shop right next door, standing behind the counter taking orders, was Axel.

A/N I literally don't even know what to say, I'm so sorry for being slack with this! I've felt hella uninspired with this story but reading all of your comments every day smacked me back into place and got me to keep writing, so thank you so much for your support. On the bright side, this story finally hit 10,000 words in my word document which is so exciting!

woo okay thats all thank you byeeee