Chapter 5: Loner to Friend

~~~

"We'll have to go here first to gather information. You always need to find out as much as you can when dealing with things like this. In some cases, information gathering can be the difference between failure and success, and even between life and death," Takashi explains.

He looks up to meet his new partner's eyes, but they don't meet.

"Oi... Are you listening to me?" he asks.

No reply.

"OI! YUKIKO!"

"Wah!" she exclaims, falling out of her chair.

"Don't sleep while I'm explaining an important mission to you."

"But! You're explanations are long-winded and boring! Aren't you supposed to be the 'cool, quiet type'?" she argues.

"The 'cool, quiet type'? What the heck is this 'cool, quiet type'? Please stay quiet and take the mission seriously."

"I am taking it seriously, you cold-hearted knuckle-head."

"At least I wasn't the idiot falling asleep during an important mission planning."

"What did you say?!"

~~~

Let's see... Yuki would probably like this for dinner... She had that yesterday, so she won't want it today... Oh and this! If she eats that, she'll want this to go along with it...

Ren carefully picks foods that he knows Yukiko would like & puts them on a tray separately from his. She often forgets to pick up a meal when she comes in the Dining Hall, so he usually does it for her. Her daily food choices follow a complex pattern, so it seems pretty random unless one looks carefully. She wouldn't eat certain things that didn't follow the pattern, even though she's probably not even aware of it herself. Picking her food for her has become Ren's near-daily routine since they met three years ago.

It was shortly after he had came to the Mortal World and moved into Yin-Yang Academy; Ren was only eleven at the time. He was out on an errand in town when he saw a thin, dirt-covered girl resting in an alley.

***3 Years Ago***

"Um..." a younger Ren says, "It's no good if ya sleep in a place like that, y'know."

The girl opens her eyes slowly, and looks at him with a sharp glare immediately.

"W-what?" he asks.

"There was not a more suitable location for me to sleep," replies the girl, with a surprisingly soft voice.

What a pretty voice...

Then the sadness of what she had just said hit him, "What? What do ya-"

"I arrived far from my desired destination, and I became too exhausted to continue walking any further than this. If you will please excuse me, I must take my leave now," she says as she rises.

Uwah! That's some formal speech! This isn't the way a street girl would talk... No... this isn't even a way any normal person would talk... She's got a pretty accent too. Never heard it before.

"Wait!" he shouts, grabbing the girl's wrist, "If ya tell me where yer goin', I can take ya."

She looks surprised, but nods once.

"My desired destination is a place known by the name of Yin-Yang Academy. Do you know of its location, young passerby?"

"Yin-Yang Academy?! I just moved in there! Does that mean yer from Mahou Kingdom too?"