Chapter 8: Student to Agent

"Are you planning to stay like that all night?" Takashi asks.

"Like what?"

"Like a human."

Yukiko glares at him. "Well, I'm sorry if it offends you, Mr. Human."

"That's not what I meant."

"Oh really now?"

"You're having difficulties, aren't you? Staying in that form during the day is one thing for a Shadow Spirit, but staying like that at night is near impossible. The amount of mental focus it takes is going to turn unfavorable for you."

Is he worried about me?

"I'm just fine, thank you very much. What if we run across other humans anyway? I'll most definitely stand out."

"We won't be seeing any humans from this point on."

"And why is that?"

"Take in your environment for a moment."

She looks around. They're walking through a field towards the woods barely outside of the town. Even though she can see, she's aware it must be pitch black. The moon provided very little light tonight, so humans could only see out here if they had a lantern like Takashi is using.

"Because it's dark?"

"That's partially correct. We're currently in a place that people generally won't come to this late."

"'Generally' doesn't apply to everyone though. There are some that would come out to a place like this even at this kind of time."

"Perhaps. However, even those types are now warded off by another reason."

"I'm not following."

"Why are we here?"

When Takashi says that, everything finally clicks together in Yukiko's mind.

"I see." She replies simply.

They think they'll be spirited away.

"I'll ask again. Are you going to stay that way all night?"

"None of your business."

"I believe it is, since you are my aid on my mission."

Yukiko narrows her eyes.

"First of all, I reject being called yours in any way. Second, it's difficult, but I like to remain in my human form as much as possible."

"Why go through such efforts? A human form is only disadvantageous for you, isn't it?"

"I don't see it that way."

"Then how do you see it?"

She stays silent.

Understanding he wouldn't hear any more than that, Takashi drops the topic. They continue walking until they reach the edge of the forest.

"Since this is a country area, forest paths like this one are often used as shortcuts. Recently though, everybody who has gone in hasn't returned. It's very distressing upon the people here." Takashi explains.

"Sounds like something from our world."

"Yes... Let's go."

They step into the dark cluster of trees in silence, watching and listening for anything unusual. All of a sudden, Takashi stretches out his arm as a signal to Yukiko to stop.

A faint ruffling of leaves and snapping twigs continues to be heard even though they aren't moving anymore.

With a glance at each other, Takashi puts out the lantern then jumps behind a bush along with Yukiko.