Chapter 4

I scrambled to get dressed for the first official day of class. It was 7 in the morning and my first class  was Geology. I was slinging my backpack over my shoulder when the door to Dixon's room opened and he opened it looking disoriented and tired. "What time is it?" He asked.

          "7:15" I stated grabbing my keys and phone off the counter. "What?! And you couldn't find it in you're cold heart to wake me up?" He questioned looking angry but mostly tired. "I didn't want to be late" I replied.

           "Well, oh good friend of mine, you now can be late as you wait for me" he replied and turned to leave. "Dixon I really can't be late" I spoke. "Relax, I won't be long" he said and turned and went into the bathroom. I honestly don't know how, but less than 5 minutes later, he came out fully dressed and looking ready for the day ahead.

               "I told you I wouldn't be long" he stated proudly and slung his backpack over his shoulders as well. "Class starts at 7:45" I answered glancing at my watch. "Well we better go" Dixon replied.

                We left quickly and jogged across the campus when we entered into the next building we exchanged schedules. We had all except one class together today, last period. He had a computer class last period, but I had trigonometry.

            But we both have geology for a elective first. It was just about 7:45 when we made it outside the door. I hated being late, everyone always stared at you when you walk in late. And they give you this uncomfortable stare before slowly looking away.

        "Come on" Dixon spoke to me casually. He opened the door with out a care in the world. At once, the teacher paused and everyone glanced at us. I kept my head low and followed Dixon down the isle. Dixon was walking down the isle high fiving people and occasionally wolf whistling and cute girls.

            But we walked down to the only empty chairs and before we sat down I heard a soft scoff and someone say, "You've got to be kidding me". We took a seat in the row above them and I recognized them as Emma and Lauren.

        Emma wore her long blonde locks in a high ponytail. Lauren left her unruly black curls out and free. Emma had a amused expression but Lauren looked annoyed.

              "Hey gorgeous ladies" Dixon greeted flirtatiously. "Hello barf boy" Lauren countered with a hiss. Both Emma and I chuckled and Dixon narrowed his eyes, "And I thought I could hold a grudge". "Well it's pretty hard to forget that some random guy barfed on you" she shot. He suddenly stiffled a laugh. "What's funny?" Lauren questioned crossing her arms. "You said it's pretty HARD" he answered having a fit. "Are you kidding me?" She asked shaking her head.

             They continued  bickeringover Dixon's immaturity and I turned to Emma. "You interested in geology?". She shrugged," Not really, it's just my elective". I nodded, "Me too, but it's actually pretty interesting". I went on to explain some things I knew about geology and Emma seemed to be listening intently before I saw a smile tugging at her lips.

           It made me pause. One because every time she smiled it made me nervous, especially when it was directed at me. But also because I noticed it was an amused smile. "What?" I asked confused. She shook her head, "Nothing, you're just such a dork". I pretended to be offended, but I knew it was true. We all turned back around when the professor began to talk again.

           I listened to what he was saying with fascination. I got the most important part though, it was pretty essential. "As our world continues to constantly change and evolve around us, it is not completely out of the realm of possibility that the next shift of the continents could occur" he spoke. Most of the class was joking around about it, but I sort of took it to heart. What if it did happen?

               "So it's possible? And with all the weird after shock earthquakes we've been having, it could actually happen?" Another girl asked. "Like I said, it's not out of the realm of possibility" the professor repeated.

             "Don't worry Lauren. I'll keep you safe" Dixon whispered in Lauren's ear seductively. She grimaced at him when he winked at her.

             The class continued and we started entering a new topic, but I thought about it the whole time. When the class ended, people began to get up from their seats. Lauren tried to get out the row quickly, but Dixon was hot on her heels, probably to bug the hell out of her. I guess he was seriously about her being a work in progress.

                    Emma and I walked out together, "What do you have next?" I asked. "Trigonometry" she stated with a pout. "Oh, I have English" I spoke hiding my disappointment well. She nodded giving me a half smile, "Well maybe I'll see you later today". I nodded with another smile. With that she turned to leave, catching up with Lauren who was in a heated banter with Dixon.

             When they left, both Dixon and I began walking to my next class, English."How's your work in progress, playboy?" I teased. He smirked, "Still a work in progress, but Dixon Medley neither gives up or fails". He then nudged me, "How about you slugger?".

          I shrugged it off. "Well give me something dude, did you call her last night at least?" He asked. I shook my head. "Well no wonder you haven't gone anywhere, you have to call her" he spoke as we walked down the halls.

        "But she just gave me her number yesterday, she wouldn't want me to call her the exact next day, I'll seem like a stalker" I defended. He patted my shoulder, "Trust me Jimmy, she wants you to call her". We turned another corner and entered our building.

         The rest of the day flew by and around noon we were finished with class for the day.  I had to say that my classes were all really fascinating. I liked them a lot. Though Dixon wasn't exactly feeling the same way. He just wanted to collapse on his bed. And that's exactly what he did when we made it to the dorm.

             I walked in the other room and began my homework. All I had for homework was trigonometry. It was pretty easy, I always thought math was easy. But the whole time I was working I couldn't stop wondering if Dixon was right.

      I mean if it was me, I'd want the person to wait at least a whole day before calling them to set up something. But I guess girls want everything right away. I had an internal debate with myself before slowly grabbing my phone out of my pocket.

           I dialed the number Emma gave me and heard about two rings before she picked up, "Hello?". Her voice was casual, but also curious. She was probably wondering who it was. I opened my mouth to speak but I froze.

            Do I simply say 'Hi' or 'Hello'? Or do I introduce myself and explain why I'm calling. Or all of them? And in what order?! "Hello?" She asked again. "Uh, hey Emma. This is Jim" I finally spoke. "Oh hey, I was waiting for you to call" she admitted nonchalantly. So Dixon was right. "Yeah" I spoke with a nervous chuckle.

               "So what's up?" She questioned. I swallowed the lump in my throat, "Well I was wondering if you have any plans? I don't have class until Wednesday". "Me either, I'm free" she replied. "Good, uh, did you maybe want to catch a movie or something?" I asked. "

              "Yeah. That sounds good"she answered. I nodded to myself, trying to keep my cool. "Well Lauren wants to get coffee now so I have to go" she paused and added, "But I'm looking forward to tomorrow". "Me too" I said. She chuckled and said her goodbye before I hung up.

         I sat on my bed in disbelief. But at the same time I couldn't stop the smile that grew on my face. Dixon opened my door with an apple in his hand, "What are you smiling about?" He teased. I turned to him excited, "I have a date with Emma".

           Dixon slowly smiled with a smirk, "Well we better get to work my friend".