Chapter 7

"Jim, stop please, you're not making any sense" Emma spoke as she followed me out of the car. I froze and turned to her, "I'm telling you I saw it, people were crazy and terrified, everything was chaotic". "Jim, none of that happened, you're scaring me" Emma replied. "It's going to happen. I've seen it" I assured. "Oh, so suddenly you're psychic now? Real mature Jim" Emma snapped. I  shook my head violently, "No this was different, it lasted too long and it was so real".

              "Where are you going?" She asked. "Back to the dorm" I stated with determination. When we reached my room I took out my key and unlocked the door quickly. Dixon came out of his room looking confused to see us. "You guys done already?" He teased.

               I ignored him and went to my computer. I went to the news and looked up what was happening in Washington and New York. I remember the man from my supposed 'premonition' saying that his family had the similar things happen to them. I swallowed the lump in my throat as I saw that there were reports of a tsunami in New York and some type of volcanic eruptions in Washington.

        I turned to Emma and Dixon, "Look, stuff is happening in Washington and New York and we're next". I looked at them desperately,  trying to get them to understand. Dixon approached me, "Jimmy, are you okay buddy?". I sighed in frustration, "I'm not having some mental break down. I'm just trying to prevent hell on Earth".

                  They continued to stare at me in confusion and I sighed, "Emma where's your friend?". "Probably out dancing, why?" She asked. " Just get her back here" I spoke. She looked skeptical before shaking her head and pulling out her phone. She went into the other room to dial Lauren. Dixon approached me.

                 "Hey man, are you okay? Is this just nerves? Because it's only a date" he spoke patting my shoulder. I swatted him away, "This isn't nerves alright. I'm trying to protect you guys, you'll understand in an hour or two". He didn't look convinced but stayed quiet.

          Emma returned soon after that, "Lauren was as confused as I was, but she said she'd come". I nodded, "Good, we need everyone here". They shared a glance and shrugged. They clearly still didn't believe me, but it was true. It had to be, I saw it all, I lived it.

              I went back to my computer and tried to understand what was happening in Washington and New York. They all had reports of natural disasters; a tsunami and some type of volcanic eruptions. How could that be? How could this all be happening simultaneously?

                I don't know how long I was on my computer trying to understand everything, but we heard a knock on the door and Emma answered it. It was Lauren; she wore the same black dress as when she came to meet us. They all wore the same clothes. "The goddess of beauty returns" Dixon spoke smirking. Lauren rolled her eyes  "I'm here and I ditched my friends, so what's the big emergency?" She asked. They all turned to me.

            I cleared my throat, "We need to leave California". She looked at the rest of them for confirmation. They looked just as confused. "That's why you called me?" Lauren questioned. "Jim told me to, he seemed pretty serious about it" Emma defended. Lauren sighed, "Why do we need to leave? This makes no sense".

          I opened my mouth to give my usually response, something like  'You-will-understand' or 'You'll-see-soon'. But I suddenly remembered something. Something that could give me actually proof. I remembered the man from the 99¢ store, he somehow knew what or who I was in my premonition.

             They all stared, waiting for my answer. I suddenly spoke, "Scratch that, before we leave, there's someone I need to talk to". "A psychiatrist" Dixon muttered. Emma and Lauren chuckled. I paused at the door, "This isn't funny guys, it's serious, now are you coming or not?". They let out sighs but started trudging after me.

          The whole ride down the street, Dixon played on his phone and the girls chatted. They weren't taking this seriously. But they needed to, I glanced at my watch. The huge earthquake hit California at around 10:30 p.m., 10 minutes after Emma and I left our movie date. It was already 9:30

               I sped up a bit so we would get to the store quicker. Once we got there it was 9:45. I got out of the car and dashed to the store. The rest of them, followed but without urgency. I approached the man behind the desk. For sure, it was the same man from my premonition. He stopped counting the cash register as he noticed me in his face, waiting impatiently.

           "Can I help you?" He asked. The man was in his late 40's, dark hair with gray spots. Tall and a deep voice. I nodded and swallowed the lump in my throat before asking, "Do you recognize me?". He furrowed his brow, probably wondering why I'd ask such a random question. But I also saw him twitch, he did recognize me.

         But he shook his head slowly, "I've never seen you before". He tried to turn away but I spoke, "Yes you do, you know you do". He avoided eye contact. "And you know what's going to happen in 45 minutes" I added. He started mumbling something to himself. "We can't stop it" I made out. "So you remember everything too?" I asked in relief. "I've lived it" he spoke softly.

             I thought to myself and slowly looked up at him, "What can we do?".   He shook his head looking aimlessly in space, "There's nothing to do, they're controlling it, they have the technology and we only have our minds". "Who? Who's controlling it?" I questioned. Even Emma and the others looked curious.

                 His expression turned hard, "The government, who else? They think they superior over everyone and can control everything, even nature". He narrowed his eyes, shaking his head, "Medley Enterprises is going to be the next Skynet with their technology".

            Dixon furrowed his brow and stepped forward, "Wait, Medley Enterprises? That's my parents company". I forgot his parents were billionaires, I guess this is how they made their profits. But suddenly the man became enraged, he ran around the desk and grabbed Dixon by the collar violently.

              "You mean you're the offspring of the people responsible for the genocide of my people?!". Dixon stared in confusion . "What the hell are you talking about?" Dixon questioned. The man let him go in disgust, he then turned to us.

          He pointed at Dixon accusingly as he spoke, "His parents are responsible for the disasters that have been happening, and they eliminate people like us, people who stay lucid during their global disasters
". He explained passionately and with anger.  He sounded like a mad man."Hey, I'm not apart of them alright, I never followed in their footsteps, I had nothing to do with this" Dixon defended.

             The man didn't look convinced and looked at Dixon with narrowed eyes. I stepped towards Dixon, "Where is this company? Where do your parents work?". "They're off the grid dude, they never tell me anything, we don't even speak really" he replied.

              "But we aren't seriously going to go track them down because you have some weird vision of the end are we ?"He asked. I sighed, "I think that's exactly what we have to do".