Chapter 8

I looked down at my watch.
It read 10:00 p.m. 30 minutes until the earthquake hit. We were all pacing the store trying to figure out a plan. The owner wanted Dixon to leave, Dixon wanted to leave. While Lauren and Emma wanted to go home. But I wanted to go find that company. I wanted to understand why this was happening.
I turned to the group, "I'm going to go find that company." Dixon scoffed, "Well you can count me out. I haven't seen my parents faces since senior prom and I don't wish to break that time." I approached him, "Dixon they're YOUR parents you're the only one who could lead me to them." He shook his head, "Dude I told you I never followed in their footsteps. They pursued business and I pursued women. The only thing we have in common is our abundant wealth. I can't lead you to them ." He sighed and added, "No one can."
I was on the verge of defeat when the owner of the store piped up, "That's not exactly true." We all looked his way. He swallowed the lump in his throat and spoke, "My daughter was killed for being who she was, being a lucid." We were silent as he spoke. "I spent the last 5 years of my life trying to track the company and next event. Or figure out if I even could track it."

He paused and reached in his compartment underneath the counter then continued, "The point is I got as close as anyone could hope to get." He held what looked like a couple maps with scribbles and markings all over it. "If you want to find that company, this is your best bet."
I took them, "Thanks." When I moved to leave he grabbed my arm. I turned back. "Here, just in case you somehow manage to find this place." He handed me a small black felt like baggie. I hesitantly took it. "Don't let anyone get their hands on that." I studied it a moment.
"You're okay with just giving this to me? I mean we did just meet." He shrugged, "Call it reckless, call it blind faith in my people, or call it an old man at the end of his road whose depending on you to find this place kid." He spoke. I half smiled, shoved it in my pocket, and nodded before walking away. "Thanks-" he cut me off ," Harrison, the name's Harrison."
I nodded, "I'm Jim." He stared a moment, " Find that place Jim, It might be the only way to stop this from continuing ." I let out a breath before meeting the others. Lauren shuddered, "That guy gives me the creeps. Emma nodded in agreement, "Same. How could you trust anything he says?"
"Well he's the only one who seemed to trust me." I snapped. They all put their heads down. Emma sighed, "Jim, I'm sorry, I wish I could believe you. But it's honestly crazy." She shook her head and said softly , "I hope you find what you're looking for." She grabbed Lauren and they headed out. Dixon looked slightly disappointed when she took Lauren too.

I turned to Dixon with a pleading look. He sighed, " Dude, I hate to say it, but I'm with them. This doesn't make any sense." I let out a defeated sigh, "I get this is insane, but I really feel like I need to do this." I looked down at my watch, it was 10:15. "And I've got 15 minutes to give myself a head start."
"Can you give me a ride back to the dorms?" He asked. I scoffed,"I have to go now, I'm on a time schedule." He pouted, "But it's so far." I gave him a knowing look, " The girls managed to walk out there late at night, probably in heels, but you can't?" He groaned and I gave in, " Fine, I'll drop you off as close as the inner state." He grinned and raced outside to the car. I gave once last look to the owner, Harrison, and left.
I walked outside to the car and hopped in. "I still don't understand why you couldn't have just walked." I spoke. "You know what they do to privileged little rich boys like me who wander alone at night?" He asked sounding hurt. I rolled my eyes, "What? they steal your pride and half of your $1000 dollar allowance?" Dixon scoffed,"It's $5000 and I have enough pride for both of us." I shook my head, to lazy to argue with him.

We were driving down the road in silent when Dixon flicked on the radio. I came to a stoplight. "This is 102.7, it is 10:30 and a beautiful night, we'll be playing your favorite tunes after this break." I widened my eyes and snapped my watch to my eyes, 10:30 on the dot. "Oh hey is that Lauren and Emma? I guess we caught up to them." Dixon spoke looking out my window at two women. It was them. I gulped and viciously rolled down the window. "Girls get down!!!" I screamed.

They both jumped in shock. But before anyone could react, the ground beneath us shook violently. Buildings shifted uncontrollably and the whole street seemed to be crumbling beneath us. Screams of terror and panic filled the air. I glanced over at Dixon who was struggling to open the car door to leave.

"Holy crap, it's actually happening, you were right, it's really happening." He said in fear. I pressed the unlock button so we were able to get out. Thankfully we escaped just a the car was swallowed by a newly made hole in the Earth. Dixon was panting in fear and leaning against a nearby tree. I glanced across the street, on the other side of the hole, and saw Emma and Lauren thankfully alive.

They looked to be in a similar state as Dixon; one of fear and disbelief. I turned to Dixon, " We have to get to them." He studied the predicament in front of us before asking the question on everyone's mind, "How?"