MH │12

In the previous chapter: It was Elle who sent the werewolves Jessica's way. Jessica stayed in her room that night. The girls brought Jessica a bit of dinner but found out she's gotten seriously ill.

-----

CHAPTER TWELVE

All of a sudden, a door slammed from above them.

The sound made both Charlotte and Oriane jump out of their skeletons.

Though, immediately after, it shifted into the familiar clacking of shoes against the wooden floor and the sound of a long heavy swishing skirt brushing against walls. A girl emerged from the top of the stairs wearing a bright red skirt and white blouse with red polka-dots all over it.  Her light brunette hair gleamed into the dim lighting, cut abruptly at her shoulders. She paused mid-step when she noticed the two of them and stared at them.

"You two didn't get the memo? It's sixties night," she exclaimed excitedly, adjusting her skirt and small polka-dotted purse.

Charlotte shook her head. She looked down at her own cotton skirt and Oriane's jeans. "Jessie's sick. We're staying around to make sure she's alright."

"What?" Her already large brown eyes expanded, aghast, until it took over her features. "She okay?"

"Just a common stomach bug," Charlotte shrugged and waved a hand around. "It's nothing major. She's going to be good for class or anything by tomorrow I bet."

The girl nodded sympathetically and said, "Understand. Hrm - if she's feeling better, maybe we'll see you at the party, yeah? Good to catch up then." Then she darted out of their way by herself. Shortly, there were several giggles and 'yippee'-s sounding from down the corridor, swiftly fading away into the ominous silence.

Oriane glanced at Charlotte questioningly. They looked familiar with each other.

Charlotte jabbed her thumb in the girl's departure direction and answered her unvoiced question, "That was Shireen. She was class rep for Jessie's and my Maths class last year."

"Oh okay," Oriane acknowledged. "She seems nice."

"She is," Charlotte quirked up the side of her lip in a hint of a smile. "Shireen likes to spend time with everyone. If there is one person in this college who is more popular than Elle, that would be her."

A cold breeze swept passed them all of a sudden and Oriane shivered. Her stomach clenched in a bout of fright.

Charlotte frowned when she too shivered - though she clamped her mouth tight and held it down. Looking around, her next words she spoke quietly, "We should go." Oriane spied Charlotte focus a slither of her affinity's power into her palm which she then balled her fists to cover.

Gathering her courage, Oriane refused to act like a ditz and stared or froze at the slightest indication of danger, so she put her arms around herself and bit out surprisingly steadily, "Yes, that's a good idea." and started moving towards their destination, out into the light of the Main Hall. She remembered the short-cut that Uilliam showed her.

At the thought of the Executive, Oriane bit her lip in reflection. Should she be referring him by his first name? He introduced himself as 'Liam' when they first met, but maybe next time she sees him - if there would be a next time - she should be calling him by his last name which, she searched in the directory, would be 'Mister McMurphy'.

But the teachers from earlier today had called him 'Enforcer McMurphy'. But then she also recalled he mentioned he wasn't an Enforcer anymore - whatever an Enforcer was. She would maybe ask someone such as Carolina the receptionist later or maybe Charlotte might know or Marian. But would it be odd that she asked? In any case, why would he introduce himself as 'Liam' in the first place? A nickname of all things and names and whatnots! Oriane decided she was going to ask Charlotte what she would call him. And... why was she concerned over his name in any case? And all of a sudden?