MH │39

In the previous chapter: Marian witnessed Elle joining the Rosicrucians. Hannah offered Oriane a deal to join their cause and told her to join them.

----

CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

When Gordon returned Oriane to the gardens, a malnourished and incoherent Hannah on a slim floating bench in tow, it was like time never passed. Beyond the Field, in fuzzy motion, were Nix and Trix, near the tent just as Oriane remembered when she left.

"The Field is about to dissolve," Gordon warned her. "You need to be out of sight before– Wait. Someone entered the Field." He ushered her behind him.

Oriane looked around and sure enough, a familiar fae figure in grey robes materialised at the edge of the border in front of them. It was Prefect Liafaren. With his robes covering his feet, he seemed to glide across the grassy grounds over to them and touched Hannah on the forehead gently.

"Hand her to me," he said gently. For someone who was part of cult, the fae didn't act very deadly that moment. "Hand her to me and return to your friends in peace for now."

Gordon nodded his approval at her and she let go of the bench.

"Thank you."

Liafaren and Hannah chose that moment to simply dissolve into the air. Only the bench remained.

"Not much is known about the fae, but that is always one of the strangest things I will never be able to explain," said Gordon. He turned to her. "I will leave now. Join your friends. It will be like the time never passed."

Without much of a farewell, he opened a portal and left her. Oriane was getting used to all this magick and so did as she was told.

"Nix! Trix!" she called, waving at them.

"Finished?" they asked in tandem.

Oriane nodded. "Looks like we're going to be set for the weekend." Behind her, the litter was all gone, likely picked up by the wind when the Field was activated.

Nix and Trix had also finished their final touches and the gardens look indeed like a carnival had set up here. Near where they stood, an unlit larger tent rose from the middle. It would be where the Tournament would commence.

While they stood on stand-by, Shireen returned with the Weres. They looked tired but excited for the events in the next two days.

Their enthusiasm was infectious and soon she had put the matter of the Rosicrucians at the back of her mind. It was not the end of it. Far from, actually. For now though, she could enjoy the festivities and be among friends.

-----

The Autumnal Festival turned out to be a rowdy event. All the students were out in the gardens as soon as the sun was fully arisen. Oriane had never even realised there were so many inhabitants at the college. There had to be a few thousand spectators and participants, teachers and students. Some clearly arrived by portal, feet planting on the landing of the garden (which was the only open space available).

All the tents were occupied by vampires, the Weres, witches, elementals, and even the fae. It turned out that there was more than one type of animal a Were could transform into. Some had the affinity to transform into multiple skins. That was curious thing to watch. Vampires ventured freely in the sun, selling cocktails of blood-drinks at their stalls. Witches sold charms and hexes. A few elementals did tricks for spectators – most of them were preparing and warming up near the Tournament tent.

Oriane worked with the Student Council and the Committee to make sure the guests knew where everything was, when everything was going to take place, and escorted when necessary. People mostly passed her by without trouble, though.