MH │53

In the previous chapter: Robert helped Oriane find out a little more about her lineage.

-----

CHAPTER FIFTY-THREE

When Wednesday rolled around, all the members of the Student Council had already made contact with their parents and... other associates.

To their surprise, someone actually found, not only an updated map of the underground repository but the location of the portals of the Aegis. Turns out, there was an undercover Enforcer within the college grounds operating on this scheme. Secretly, someone had reshaped the Aegis to protect everyone aboveground. Even if there was an explosion during the ritual within the repository, the Chamber and fellow Councillors were confident it wouldn't affect the children that populated the school. A whole host of other measures was going to be doled out the following day to make sure no one was going to get hurt and no other buildings were going to get destroyed in the process.

With a solid plan hatched to interfere the ritual before anything dastardly could be committed, Robert, Zachary, Scott, Edan, and Ozzy were ordered to stay put and stay safe, securely out of harm's way.

Robert sat in the latest meeting that morning with a frown set deeply in his brows.

"What's wrong?" asked a concerned Scott, leaning forward in his plush chair.

He shook his head, just a little. "It's nothing."

"You look like you're constipated, man. It's not about tomorrow, is it?"

Pouting his lips, he struggled inwardly between answering his friend or ignoring it.

A part of him wanted to tell his friends about Oriane's extremely off behaviour, another part of him just wanted to see it play through. What if he was overthinking the whole situation? She did say she wasn't going to get involved anymore. And so what she was sneaking around the library at midnight? She was trying to find out a bit more about her ancestry. Though he did find it weird that she didn't feel comfortable enough to do so during the librarian's working hours.

Right, well, it was extremely odd. Not to mention, how did she come around to getting that information anyway? She hadn't got a clue when she got here. Something must have changed in the last week or so. It bugged him greatly. Even if their relationship didn't work out, he didn't want to see her get hurt by being reckless about this.

Those cultists were dangerous folk. Not only had they the connections to stage an explosion without anyone powerful knowing, or maybe those same people were in cahoots -who knew-, but they even had the resources to recruit so many people. It was worrying.

He felt little sympathy for those who were going to get caught. Not even for Elle whom he had known for more than a decade. He wasn't going to protect her from her own mistaken decisions, especially since Zachary wasn't much bothered by it either. He was always closer to Elle than the rest of them. Robert was slightly surprised he was so indifferent. But that made him an excellent leader for their small group. He was the most impartial of them all.

He smiled wryly at Scott. "Nah, man. All good."

Since Oriane had her mindset, he'll let her keep her secrets. Things buried often had an uncanny way of surfacing eventually anyway. It wasn't like an affinity like hers was going to stay unnoticed for long.

Mystics... He honestly didn't know much about them. Strange, he thought he was rather knowledged about the hierarchies of the world. Once again, it proved there was more to learn.

"So, Rob. What do you think?" questioned Edan, looking curiously at him for a reply.

"Sorry, what was that?"