Chapter 2: First day of school

(Pic drawn by the author)

Monday, August 15th
I woke up at 5:30 am by the sound of the alarm,then stood up and hobbled to the bathroom.There, I washed my face with cold water in order to wake up a bit,then brushed my hair with grandma's brush since mine was already packed with the rest of my things in the suitcase, which stood downstairs by the door. I started dressing up, first buttoned my white oxford shirt ,then slid my blue skirt and the black knee-length socks on.I tied the blue striped tie around my neck,put my black flats on and slid my black blazer on.

I sighed as I made my way to Grandma's room. The door was slightly open. Maybe she is still asleep....I peeked through the little gap between the door and the frame and saw grandma lying in bed, sound asleep. I silently walked in, trying not to make any sound, then leaned beside her and kissed her cheek gently.
"Bye Granny" I whispered.
She opened her eyes with the sound of my faint voice and smiled "Hello Elizabeth" she said, her voice was raspy since she was half asleep.
" Are you going out already?"She asked.
" Yeah...I won't be able to catch the train otherwise..."
" Well then," she said before sitting up." Give me a minute, I need to get dressed so I can take you to the station"
I nodded and backed up a little as she stood up.
"I'll meet you downstairs" I walked out of the room and closed the door behind me, then went downstairs to the living room. There I began to walk around, scanning the room. The walls were adorned with old photos of my family .There were even some pictures of my old friends and I, it was a bit sad .I was not able to give them a proper good bye since they were all out on vacation . I sighed as my gaze landed on an old piano that stood beside the window.
Flashbacks immediately began to play in my mind. My 6 year old self appeared before me, she was sitting at the piano, staring at the music sheets ,excitement reflecting in her face.A younger version of grandma stood beside her, gesturing her to start playing. The little old me started to slowly touch the keys and music began to flow from the piano.As she played she would skip a note or two, but it was okay since it was her first time playing the song.

I smiled as I watched the scene. I couldn't believe it's already been 10 years since I moved to the country side with grandma and started learning music from her. I heard grandma's footsteps getting closer. I turned back to look at her. She was already standing at the door.

"Are you ready?"She asked.

"Yeah, I was just.."I was cut off by her.

"Well? what are you waiting for? Let's go!". She said before walking out.

I picked up my guitar case, which was leaning against the wall, and swung it over my right shoulder, then walked to the door and once more turned to look at the piano. I let out a small sigh and closed the door behind me. Alright... I looked up at grandma, who was already a few meters ahead of me, she was rolling my suitcase beside her. I walked up to her.

"Hey, don't worry, I can carry my own luggage," I said, placing a hand on the suitcase.

"No, no, I'm fine, you will have to carry it when you arrive. At least let me help you with this for now".

I sighed "fine".

****

We arrived at the platform 204 at 6:00 am. Just in time. The train was already there and about to depart. I hugged grandma tightly. I felt a lump in my throat and tears welling in my eyes.
"Take care dear..." Grandma whispered in my ear.
" Yes.." I managed to reply.
I broke the embrace and wiped my tears with my blazer's sleeve.
" I promise I'll send you an e-mail once a week," I said.
"I will try to reply as soon as I receive it"
I smiled at her. Grandma handed me my trunk, taking a hold of it, I began to walk towards the train. Once I reached the entrance I turned to look back and saw grandma, standing some meters away from me. I waved at her, but I guess she didn't see me since she didn't wave back.