Prologue

There were cuts on her wrists, and scars on her ankles. Bruises decorated her face - horrifically beautiful patterns like splatters of black and green. The terror that lay in the depths of her young eyes was so distressing that her saviours could barely look. She was the youngest they had found, barely of age, a child to her kin. She was small and frail, her bones like that of a little robin, malnourished and frozen in fear.

They had carried her home, for apparently she had a home. They called it the Woodland Realm. She remembered it vaguely, or at least she felt she had dreamt it but it had been so long since she had anything but her dreams to cling to. It had been a long time since she had seen the sun and the sky, or the trees and the leaves, or the smell of pine, or even the feel of a breeze on her deadened limbs. It had been so long since she could even recall her own name, or the sound of an elven voice not broken by the darkness. It had been so long that she had nearly forgotten what she was. She had been nothing more than a pale light in the dark for so long, just a whisper in the endless night, only a little bird to chain up and choke until it couldn't sing anymore. That is what they did in that place, that stone fortress shrouded in nightmarish shadows, they choked the goodness out of things until they shrivelled into nothing but ghoulish shadows themselves. But there is always a little light in the dark, and if one withstands it long enough, if one hopes beyond hope itself that one day the light will come back...then it just might.

Light had come. It had come in the very hour of her last despair. Her eyes had dimmed, her veins began to run with the cold ice that they had so often tortured her with, her voice had disappeared into the air and no hopeful song was formed on her cracked and bleeding lips. But then the light came, in all its harshness. It blinded her and made her spirit scream in agony. It burned her greying limbs and sliced through her like a white hot flame, licking away the coldness with a fierce heat. The light had brought the hope of life and a new beginning, but was she strong enough to hold on to it, or would it simply finish what was left of her? At this precise moment she wasn't so sure? Either way it felt utterly incredibly to feel anything other than emptiness, even the disorientating pain was a welcoming relief. If she was to die now then she would be grateful to have at least lived long enough to see the light once again.

Suddenly a hand formed around hers, and she marvelled at the touch...she had forgotten touch. She felt her lips quirk, and again she was astounded to be reminded of her body, of her skin...she was still whole. The hand was warm, and with this comforting warmth came a voice, a voice that spoke kindly to her...someone acknowledged her like she meant something...she felt hot water drip down her skin from her blinded eyes, it was tears, she was crying;

"Breathe the free air little one...it is over."