2. Shadows in Dark Corners

It became clear quite quickly, that the Woodland Prince was not at all jesting when he had said he did not have time to offer Lainiel.  She was also certain that he had no intentions of over-indulging her, or maybe it was not that he desired to not make her feel unwelcome, but simply he was unsure exactly how to treat her. Much like many of the elves she had come in contact with since her reintroduction to society, he seemed to look upon her with a measure of sympathy coupled with uncertainty. However, unlike the majority there was no fear in his reactions towards her, he certainly was not panicked or remotely concerned that she could be dangerous. She was not dangerous, at least not by her own assessment, and she certainly was not dangerous with an axe.

Rubbing the ache in her shoulders, Lainiel winced as she observed the clumsy and crude tool in her failing grip. Her hands ached, and blisters were beginning to form along the soft unused skin of her palms. Cuts sliced through her skinned knuckles and splinters had wedged uncomfortably into her fingers and grubby hands. She had been throwing her weight and all of her strength into this wood cutting exercise since the crack of dawn, refusing to take a break or rest until she had at least something reasonable to show for her efforts. Her gaze floated over the pile of timber she had accumulated and she felt her lips form into a dissatisfied pout - it was not much of an effort.

The chopped wood was uneven, badly cut, damaged in some places, rough and not nearly as clean as the other serval piles surrounding hers. The dwarves that she worked beside were quiet and for the most part disinterested in her presence, barely speaking or offering any kind of advice, merely grunting or sharing an amused snicker between them at her expense. With a slight groan and another hiss at the ache in her hands, Lainiel pushed away the lengths of her hair that fallen about her face, and attempted gripping her axe again.

"Lassie, when did you last eat?"

Lainiel frowned, instantly dropping out of her stance and staggering forward, for she unable to hold the axe aloft for any length of time without it causing her muscles to scream in burning protest. She let out a soft yelp as she felt the cut skin of her knuckles stretch and nip painfully. Once she had gathered herself, Lainiel glanced at the broad shouldered dwarf that was ambling resolutely towards her, his sparkly eyes seemed to be appraising her with no small amount of annoyance, and abruptly she wracked her brains to think of what she might have mistakenly done that would have upset the dwarf so.

"Lass?" Gimli repeated again, his furry red brows pulling so closely together that they nearly met in the middle. "Have you taken a break at all?"

Lainiel shook her head, more of her strawberry locks falling loose from the unravelling bun atop her head. Her chest heaved from exertion, and again she was bitterly reminded of her weakness. Gimli gruffly shook his head too, and clamped his strong arms across his burly chest. Lainiel marvelled at the power these small but draughty people seemed to exude, even their women were hardy of body, with tough skin and strong hands.

"Right, away with ye miss," Gimli huffed as he held out his dirt stained palm to receive her axe, "I do not want to see you back here...on with ye and go eat something!"

"Did I do something wrong sir?" Lainiel queried, her face filling with a great disappointment as she clutched the axe tightly. "Please sir, I can try harder. If the timber is not to standard I can work as long as you need...I can learn...I promise."

Gimli felt his eyes widen at the term 'sir' it felt a little formal, and something he half expected to be used in the presence of his father. He almost chuckled at the elleth Legolas had cumbered him with, but something caught him from doing so. When he looked into her eyes he saw panic, as if she thought she had somehow let him down...or maybe she felt she had let her lord down? If that was the case the dwarf was going to have to have to have word with his pointy eared friend. The last thing Legolas wanted was to get himself a name for being grumpy task master - Aule forbid, Arda did not require another ElvenKing.