CHAPTER 3: False Hearts, Real Feelings

(Bill's POV)
Pine Tree and Mabel help me down the stairs to someplace they call the basement. It really strange that mortals have a house with a lower area. Pine Tree has a tattoo on his right arm. I sort of recognize the symbol because I have (almost) the same one on my back. It's a little freaky, so I just try to look away. We walk down stairs and into an enclosed box that drops.
"Is this normal to have in a... Basement?" I ask. Dipper shrugs and Mabel just beamed with excitement. Literally, I could feel her excitement radiating off of her. When we get down to the basement, I see someone sitting at a desk in a dark room. My yellow eyes glowed and when he turned around, he gasped and reached for a small gun. Mabel lets go of my left side and I almost fall down. Dipper's fear explodes around me and he grasps the side Mabel had dropped. He carefully and slowly lifts me back up to face the older man.
I blush uncontrollably. "Grunkle Ford! I know that you know it's Bill, but seriously, he's not here to hurt us. He's lost a lot of his memory," Mabel explains quickly. The older man narrows his eyes at me. I blink confusingly.
"Bring him this way," Ford says gruffly. Dipper slings my right arm around the back of his neck and puts his left arm under my left arm in order to hold me up. We walk/limp towards where Ford is telling us to go. We're brought into a room with a few chairs, a desk and other stuff like papers scattered around the room. "Set him down here." Dipper nods and walks over towards a red cushioned chair. And he slowly helps me into the chair. I sigh and shiver a little. My body temperature normally doesn't change, but I'm freezing now! "Here." Dipper takes off his dark navy blue sweatshirt and hands it to me. He bids his eyes from under the brim of his hat.
"Now, Bill. Tell me all that you can remember," Ford instructs angrily. I gulp down my fear. I run through the list of things that I can remember. "Then, when I woke up, I was here with this shooting pain in my right side," I finished. Ford nods.
"Thank you, Bill. Kids, I think it is safe to say that the demon is safe to be around. Just... Be careful," he says. I flinch at the word demon. It's like calling a child or a person it. It drives me nuts.

(In The Forest)

"Ok. Who wants to play hide and seek?" Mabel smiled and skipped around a clearing or cool green grass, dark green pine trees, and a clear, aqua, crystal stream. I felt a spark of excitement, but it slowly died away. "Mabel, you know that Bill can't hold himself yet-"
"Don't be ridiculous, Pine Tree!" I said, attempting to push him away. Dipper had a caring and worried look on his face, but he slowly let me try to stand on my own. I could do it for a little bit, but then I fell to my knees, catching myself on my hands. Dipper ran forward, arms and hands open to help me. But I held up my hand. I'm never going to let you make me feel weak, Pines. I thought, dryly.
Don't hurt yourself! I read Dippers thoughts clearly. I blinked a little bit and looked up at him. His brown eyes flickered worry. "I'm not going to hurt myself more than I already have," I said. Dipper backed away, but not as far as I wanted him to. Mabel sat in the grass, her eyes intently watching me. "Let's see how far you can go, Bill. How many steps can you take this time?" She asked. I gritted my teeth, but wanted to see what I could do. I got up again. I shakily took four steps before I fell again.
"Ok," Dipper said, grabbing a stick and making a line in front of me. Then he went to where I had started. He helped me back and I started again. By the end of it, I had walked at 20 steps. I smiled from ear to ear. Mabel and Dipper smiled too. I think I had found a family that I could actually fit in with.

(Dipper's POV)
I'm so happy that Bills getting stronger. I'm also a little worried that he's going to get too strong. But, I hope that that won't happen. It's getting dark when we get home. Grunkle Stan is in the kitchen and making some dinner. He glances towards us. "Hey, hey, hey! Who's that?" He exclaims angrily. Mabel sighs and explains to Stan that it is Bill, but he's lost most of his memory of us.
"Come on, Bill," I say, helping Bill up the stairs. I hear him whisper a few hisses of pain. I glance at him quickly to see pain flicker into his face. We go into our room. (Mine and Mabel's) I let him walk into the room and sit on my bed. I show a weak smile and he reflects the smile back. "So... Uh, Bill," I start, sitting down on Mabel's bed. Bill stares at me with intense attention to me. "Are you... Do you get angry at me if I help you too much?" I ask.
"Well, I get it that you care about me," he says, looking down at the floor. I winced a little on the inside. I do care for him... I just... Can't believe that I could..."And I know that you just want to help. But when you do help me too much, it makes me feel weak. And I have a question for you." I look him in his glowing yellow eyes.
"What was I like... When I was a demon?"