Chapter 9

"Has my dowry been exchanged?"

The King looked at her, his brows twitching toward each other. The King's council was giving her an equally questioning look.

"I don't believe so, Princess Lark, no," he answered. "The men who are able to do so will not arrive at port for another two weeks."

She wetted her lips, her fears beginning to become reality.

"Why was my marriage to Prince Aspen arranged?" she asked.

"Our families are great and noble. It was only reasonable that-"

"No. Why was it arranged?"

The council looked at her bleakly, clearly wondering if she had gone mad - she had interrupted the King. But as her question sank in, they all looked awkwardly down at the table, even the King. Silas was the only one who didn't look ashamed.

"The Crown doesn't have a copper left," he said, breaking the silence. Gazes turned to him now in horror. He rolled his eyes, pursing his lips

"She has a right to know." His attention went back to her. "You were married to Aspen for your father's wealth that will someday be yours. Without it, Esaria will go so deeply into debt that it will destroy the monarchy."

Lark sat heavily in her chair, understanding everything now.

"That's why I'm being targeted," she murmured. "If they killed Prince Aspen, Silas would be legitimized and take the throne, or a long line of nobles after that. But if they kill me... they'll remove the only thing that is keeping the Crown standing. My father would never forgive you if I died. Your flow of gold would stop. Everything would come crashing down."

Silas chewed his bottom lip, his dark eyes lingering on her as he considered what she'd said. The other nobles were either struck silent or had their voices rising in concern and outrage. Silas and the King were the only ones who were still.

"We'll send you away," the King decided. "Back to your father, back to Hidel. You'll be safer there."

"So she can die there instead?" Silas countered. "No. They'll follow her. We'll triple the guard, double the number of tasters."

"No." The room looked to her. Her hands dropped into her lap.

"I don't want to be a prisoner," she said. "What is the point in protection like that, if it means I lose my freedom? I can't live like that."

"Lark," Silas sighed. "Don't be ridiculous."

The throne room doors opened, and a soldier walked in, bowing to the King, and giving a folded letter to Silas.

"It's been done, Your Majesty," he said. "I was sorry to - he was a good man, and an even better soldier."

"Captain Landon," the King said, quickly rising and glancing at Lark. "This is a poor time."

"My lord, you asked me to report to you when the matter was dealt with."

"Landon, we will speak tonight. You're dismissed."

The Captain hurriedly bowed again, retreating from the room. An unsettling feeling knotted in Lark's stomach.

"Your Majesty," she said. "If I may ask what that was about?"

The King's eyes were dark and full of warning, though his voice was level. "It would be best for everyone if you left such matters alone."

Silas leaned over to the King, whispering something to him. There was a bleak look on both of their faces.